How can you promote/get the word out about an Ebay auction??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Rosene, Apr 15, 2002.

1. Chris Rosene

Chris Rosene Second Unit

I have an item for sale on Ebay that is funny and unique and I think a lot of people with a relatively sick sense of humor would be interested in it but it is not a item that you'd go to Ebay to look for it. In fact, most if not all people don't necessarily know it exists.
    I don't sell on Ebay as a regular thing (I think I've sold 2 or 3 items total) so I don't know all the tricks of the trade. I don't know if it is OK to post here to get the word out so I won't, unless people tell me it is OK.
    I have seen on other forums I frequent that people who post their own Ebay auctions tend to get beat up pretty good [​IMG] .
    So, in short, how do you get somebody to bid on something they didn't even know they wanted??

2. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I don't think they like people openly advertising their auctions on this forum, though I've seen it done before.
    What I've done in the past is find a newsgroup that is closely related to the item you have for auction and post a notice there. If you are new to Internet newsgroups, then deja.com is probably the easiest place to start.

3. John Miles

John Miles Stunt Coordinator

Be sure to check the newsgroup's charter and/or FAQ before posting auction links, though. They're not always welcome, and sometimes lead to group-consuming flamewars (see rec.antiques.radio+phono for a classic example).

4. Chris Rosene

Chris Rosene Second Unit

Thanks for the newsgroup tips. Anybody have any other ideas?? I'm dying for a large audience to see this, but not sure how to spread the word.

5. Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin Supporting Actor

Chris:

What item are you thinking of selling? That could help us figure out where you should promote the auction.

6. Chris Rosene

Chris Rosene Second Unit

Its a poster (high quality vinyl) from a famous restaurant chain that was banned because the picture was interpreted to resemble something sexual (and it does!!)

7. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    If you put a good, detailed description in your Ebay listing, with terms that people might search as keywords, bidders should be able to find it. If you want a certain amount for it, protect yourself with a reserve or by setting your minimum at your true minimum, and relist later if it doesn't get the bids.

8. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

Chris, I think I just found your auction. If it is your's, that's one funny poster. I'd buy it! Funny as hell!
    (does the poster have a "handful"? [​IMG])

9. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

Yup, I found it too [​IMG]
    The funny thing is, I went to eat there a few weeks ago and it was hanging in the middle of the restuarant. I kept looking at it while I was standing in line and laughed to myself. Somehow, I thought such a thing would never make it to be publicly displayed, but I was wrong!
    Just curious, when did it get banned? Like I said, I saw it in my local place a few weeks ago so it must have been quite recent.

10. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Just type in Banned Poster to find it.

11. Jeffrey Noel

Chris, you may want to lower the shipping price on the poster. I have a feeling that that will limit the amount of bids. Just a suggestion! (BTW, if you do, let me know as i'll bid on it! It'd go great in my dorm room! [​IMG])

12. Chris Rosene

Chris Rosene Second Unit

Thanks for the input guys. Like I said, I'm new to Ebay so I thought I'd look for some help. I haven't quite found a newsgroup that pertains to this item, but I'll keep looking.

Hey Jeffrey, if you bid and win I'll ship it to you free since you are a college student!!

13. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

14. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    how did you get that poster? it is funny.

shipping is very high.

15. Jeffrey Noel

Just put up a bid! I want that thing!!! [​IMG] My roommates for next year would love it also!