How can this plasma be Hi-Def?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott_AH, Dec 20, 2002.

1. Scott_AH

Scott_AH Stunt Coordinator

Best Buy has a Phillips 42" HDTV plasma on display that supposedly can display 1080i broadcasts. Now, maybe I don't know what I'm talking about but it's stated max resolution is 1024X1024 so how can it display 1080i?

Scott

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Yes it can. It simply scales the HD signal to fit its display matrix. (AKA chuck out information)

It's still HD ... just not as much as where it started.

Regards

3. Scott_AH

Is it a noticeable difference?

Scott

4. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Where the plasma falls down is not so much the reduced resolution as the lack of good blacks. Get too close and you see that it doesn't do black or even dark grays well at all.

If we put this issue aside, it is still way better than DVD at 350,000 pixels of information. This is at 1,000,000 pixels.

A well calibrated crt based RPTV even at 1,000,000 pixels will look better than this in some respects.

Of course 2 million pixels is always preferable to 1 million.

Regards

5. rob-socal

rob-socal Agent

Michael,

Can you tell me how many pixels is in a standard RPTV with 480P image ? I have a Toshiba 65H80. I know it's 480 down but how many across ?

Thanks,
    RJ.

6. Scott_AH

And how much does the horizontal resolution matter?

Scott

7. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

Rob:

He just did. 704x480 = ~ 350k pixels.

And the more information, the better. But as you can tell, a clean picture with good color resolution at 704x480 looks pretty great.

8. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

>>> how many pixels is in a standard RPTV with 480P image ...?
    For horizontal resolution or "pixels across", standard tube type TV sets, RP and otherwise, vary widely. You would have to play a test pattern, or take somebody's word for it. Note that all standard test patterns measure resolution across the diameter of the largest circle that fits in the picture when the picture is stretched to a 4:3 shape. A good RPTV should have no difficulty reproducing 720 pixels across, or rather, consecutive picture details 1/720'th the screen width or 1/540'th the diameter of the largest circle I mentioned.
    A de-interlacer or a scaler in a TV will impose a horizontal pixel count restriction that may not be there in a comparable TV or HDTV with just analog circuits inside.
    Just about any tube type HDTV can display a tiny picture detail at any one of the 1920 x 1920 possible pixel positions on the picture tube(s), but the smallest spot it can make is almost always somewhat larger than 1/1080'th the screen height.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm