What's new

How can Michelle Wie hit 300 yard drives? (1 Viewer)

Chris Derby

Second Unit
But as she is right now, I'm afraid if she competes in these tournaments were she cannot win, you're not teaching her that winning mentality, you're teaching her how to be a freakshow/gimmick.

This is a girl who in 2-3 years could compete - and maybe win - a mens tournament (maybe, with the right field) but not now.
Well, I'm sure she's dominating everybody she "should" be playing. Winning against people who have no chance to beat you is a hollow victory. Beating a bunch of men that do this for a living is a much bigger feather in her cap than winning against other 9th graders.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
She's still a child(young lady), let her enjoy her youth. WHY do people want kids to grow up so quickly?

Just a thought.

Brent

Trey Fletcher

Second Unit
I still remember a few years ago, a 16 year old boy (Tyrone something) was projected as the next Tiger Woods.
That would be Ty Tryon. He actually (stupidly) had his coming out party here at the Phoenix Open. Why he decided to play his first professional tournament in front of the largest galleries on tour was, and still is, beyond me. He shot something like 12 over for the two days, missed the cut, and everything went pretty much downhill from there. Last I heard he was trying to get his card back but I don't see him ever being a factor on tour.

As for Wie, her game certainly is impressive. But for me, she's already bordering on over-exposure, and the novelty of women playing with the men is wearing off. TF

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I'm not saying she should go out and beat a bunch of kids that are no competition. I'm saying she should enter into tournaments she has a reasonable shot of winning.. like LPGA events or Nike Amateur tour events.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I'll say, though, I think this is a mistake putting her in this tournament. Not because she can't compete (she can) but because it doesn't instill the right thing yet..

I'm a big believer that as a kid, she needs to be playing tournaments against fair/peers where she knows she has a fair chance to WIN. Because if she can learn that winning mentality, it will carry over with her, and I have no doubt in a few years, she could compete odds on anywhere.
Isn't this an overreaction? She's only playing in a single PGA event in her hometown. It's not like she's trying to earn a PGA Tour card -- which she couldn't anyway, because the PGA does have an age requirement for gaining full tour status.

Ty Tryon played in a single PGA event as a 15 year old in his hometown and it was not the end of the world. How he handled things later, though, certainly didn't help him or his future pro golf career. Hopefully Wie will learn from those mistakes. There have been a few ugly incidents already on the LPGA Tour, though, with her and her father.

Khoa Tran

Supporting Actor
Yes i've hit 250 a couple times but that was so much luck...it's all techinique, get it down and you're good to go =)

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
She shot a 72 today beating 29 men and tying with 10 other - including major winner Tom Lehman.

Take that Anna! Let's hope she makes the cut!

Cary_H

Second Unit
Yup....it's the synergy of all the parts that make up her swing.
The best comparison I can come up with is how heavy a slapshot some pre-teenage kids have. Even as an adult with far more size and strength mine packed very little more punch than my wristshot. Our own goaltenders always had a number of choice nicknames for me. For the most part, they simply snickered in warm-ups and at practices. Teammates shook their heads in pity at me after their many relentless attempts to help bore no fruit whatsoever.....and this was after they had worn themselves out from prior fits of hysterical laughter.
I am permanently scarred from years of "shot envy".

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I just watched the ESPN recap of Wie's 2nd round, and she is tall (6 feet), and is flexible, and has great mechanics, all of which help in allow her to generate tremendous club head speed at the moment of impact for her drives.

She's got 4 more years before she can go play on the LPGA or the PGA tour (you have to be 18 years of age to qualify). She said she wants to survive high school and go to a good college.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
She's got the combo:

Genetics
Love of the Game
Discipline
Financial Potential

I'm totally envious !

As my daughter loves to say: You GO Girl !

I hope she tears 'em up ! Golf is one sport where the only thing that matter is the ball, and the course.

Mike Wladyka

Supporting Actor
She's got 4 more years before she can go play on the LPGA or the PGA tour (you have to be 18 years of age to qualify).
i don't know if that is true for the PGA, ty tryon went to q-school and got his tour card..i could be wrong, but i think that was the story

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks