What's new

How can Michelle Wie hit 300 yard drives? (1 Viewer)

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
She looks so frail...most of us weekend hackers would kill for that kinda length...in the fairway! :b

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
She is 6'+. She is flexible. She's had excellent training. She uses the modern swing (maximum stretch of the back muscles, quick rotation of the body on the downswing equals a lot of clubhead speed). She swings hard (no matter what they look like, all long-knocks swing hard - it looks easy because their swings are efficient).

I just hate her :b

Mike Wladyka

Supporting Actor
i agree with alan, to hit it far your swing has to be fast...plus Michelle Wie is young and very flexible so she can turn and coil her body and she is tall...i am just glad that i can hit it far...i would hate to be out driven by girl:D

Tommy Ceez

Second Unit
A perfect swing. Didnt you ever just haul off on one at the range and were never able to repeat the feat? Well, she does that every time, hundreds of times a day.

Paul O

Stunt Coordinator
What social skills did you have when you were 12 years old? - I saw her interviewed on Real Sports and she carries herself remarkably well. It would be the best thing that could happen to the LPGA if she shook up the tour like Tiger Did but i think she has to be 16 or so to join.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
What social skills did you have when you were 12 years old? - I saw her interviewed on Real Sports and she carries herself remarkably well. It would be the best thing that could happen to the LPGA if she shook up the tour like Tiger Did but i think she has to be 16 or so to join.
That's sort of my point. I didn't have any. When I was 13 I was playing with friends, hanging out, getting into trouble ;) . She's going to miss a very important time in her life if all she does is play golf all day every day. She'll be rich yeah, but she'll have like 2 friends.

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
She uses the modern swing (maximum stretch of the back muscles, quick rotation of the body on the downswing equals a lot of clubhead speed).
I used to wonder the same thing about Darryl Strawberry when he first came in the MLB scene. Here was this stringbean who could hit a ball 400 feet and make it look effortless. Those long arms get some serious batspeed or in this case clubhead speed as Alan noted.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I'll say, though, I think this is a mistake putting her in this tournament. Not because she can't compete (she can) but because it doesn't instill the right thing yet..

I'm a big believer that as a kid, she needs to be playing tournaments against fair/peers where she knows she has a fair chance to WIN. Because if she can learn that winning mentality, it will carry over with her, and I have no doubt in a few years, she could compete odds on anywhere.

But as she is right now, I'm afraid if she competes in these tournaments were she cannot win, you're not teaching her that winning mentality, you're teaching her how to be a freakshow/gimmick.

This is a girl who in 2-3 years could compete - and maybe win - a mens tournament (maybe, with the right field) but not now.

But, I guess you cash in while you can. I still remember a few years ago, a 16 year old boy (Tyrone something) was projected as the next Tiger Woods. He stayed on the tour for one year, and he no longer has his card. You burn out when you always play and you feel like you have no hope to actually compete.

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
lol @ john thomas

You can tell when Michelle Wie is nervouse because she starts giggling...like a 14year old...hmmm

and she'll have more than 2 friends, hasn't the lebron story taught you anything

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks