What's new

How can I work Direct TV out of a better system? (1 Viewer)

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
I have a cheap basic Direct TV system , but I would like to upgrade to something better, maybe HDTV and digital audio outs.
If I threaten to leave them and go with Dish will they hook me up with something better? Or should I call Dish up and ask them what they will give me to make a switch.
James 'The Swindler' Johnson

Leroy

Second Unit
Well, being as the HDTV recivers run in the neighborhood of $500 (for the reciever alone, you need the eliptical dish too), I doubt either DirecTV or Dish would be willing to too offer much of a deal.
Circuit City had a special purchase on the Hughes HIRD-45 receiver w/dual LNB dish for only $50. Dolby Digital Coax/Optical outs, S-video out, 2 composite outs, remote extender(cool little extra). No HDTV, but I'm not too concerened about that with the current lack of available HD channels.
I upgraded from my basic reviever to this a couple of weeks ago so I could watch Band of Brothers in DD.
I tried to get a discounted upgrade from Dish at one time, but was told all these great hardware deals are for new customers only. I switched to DirecTV whenI got a free system with my home.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Maybe that's the way to do it. Subscribe to Dish and get their new stuff. When the contract runs out, switch to DirecTV. Back and forth. Not a bad idea if I do say so myself!
Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks