how can I use a car sub in my HT?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Mike Foley, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Mike Foley

Mike Foley Extra

well, its not so much my home theater, its my parents. I'm buying my dad a new receiver for his birthday, and the sub he has isn't self powered. I'd like to just go ahead and give him a new sub, but due to budget constraints (i.e. broke) I won't be able to just buy him one. I have a subwoofer I used in my car (Pioneer 12") before I upgraded to JL. Is there some sort of an amp I can buy thats made for what I want to do? I just need 1 RCA input and 1 speaker wire output. Any ideas?

thanks

2. stephanX

stephanX Stunt Coordinator

Partsexpress(partsexpress.com) has a number of subwoofer plate amps for this exact purpose. Download some modelling software (WINisd) and find out the best box size for the sub to give a good in room response. Good luck in your DIY ventures. A good spot to aim for is an in room f3(where the response is 3 decibels down than the rest) of rougly 25hz(but the lower the better), that will give you most of the mixes bass in movies these days.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Since you indicate that you’re doing this on the cheap, I suggest picking up a used stereo receiver or integrated amp from a pawnshop. You should have no problem finding a two-channel model under $100.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Do you have the TS-params for your Pioneer 12, at least the basic ones.
    Like:

FS--?
    QTS-?
    QES-?
    QMS-?
    VAS-?
    Xmax?
    SVC or DVC and it's/their ohm load-?
    Power Handling-?

Anything more would be nice..

Some of the Pioneer car drivers will work pretty decent for a HT sub. They usualy have a "lower FS" than most car drivers, mid Q, and bigger Vas so a DIY sub using it could certainly be a possibility.

They made/make a couple models that are designed for very small box car apps & certainly not the greatest woofs for a home sub..

If you provide some TSP's maybe we can help you come up with something that will work with your driver....

Wayne P's power idea is a good one!
    Some sweet deals can be found at Pawn shops and Consignment shops for regular 2-channel home receivers/amps/intagrated amps or pro amplifiers.

Before buying any power, be it a subwoofer plate amp, 2-channel home receiver or amplifer, lets see what can be done with the driver in question...
    Cheers
    Geoff ¥