How can I test my low frequency signals?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Br, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

On my Yamaha rx v-1000 there is the low frequency test that allows you to start at 35hz and work about at 1/6 octaves and I am sure that I can just read the spl at each step in order to get the test done. My question is do I do this at reference level? And, I have read several post that say at 30hz a level of 105db was reached, is this a max reading or is it all done from the same volume, which would also be the reference volume. Guess this is another newbie trying to understand bass managment and performance.

Thanks

Greg

2. gene avallon

gene avallon Stunt Coordinator

come on wayne help this guy out,I dont dare to do as of yet.
    thanks
    gene[​IMG]

3. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

no help!

4. gene avallon

gene avallon Stunt Coordinator

keep trying someone will come along.if you can get that nice guy wayne youll be all set.
    gene[​IMG]

5. Jerry AZ

Jerry AZ Stunt Coordinator

I recall a post from someone, that you shouldn't output a single tone sinewave at high volume to your speakers. I just bought a Autosound 2000 test disk with test waves from 10 to 98hz. I'll be testing mine with the meter on the 60db level, and a lower volume.

6. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

Set the volume control to whatever you feel comfortable with (70 or 80 on the meter to keep it simple) and leave the volume control alone as you test at different freqs.

Pete

7. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

I guess my main question is I have read these posts, in particular the ones from SVS about the readings they get at different frequencys, I am wondering if there is a thread or website that would show other models of subwoofers output at the different frequency levels. I know there was a recent article that detailed the SVS Ultra, the Velodyne, Klipsh and a couple of others. I am wondering how my sub performs in relation to those, that would provide a barometer for me to compare the subs then add cost into the equation. I figured if there was no such data I could do the test myself, but exactly how is the main question.

8. Jerry AZ

Jerry AZ Stunt Coordinator

The main problem would be that your room size and shape has an effect on the sub performance, so it would be hard to say how it stacked up against others that were tested under set conditions IMO. You could still get an idea though by outputing different freq's. and monitor the SPL meter.