What's new

How can I tell if my TV is 480p capable (1 Viewer)

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
If you tell us the maker and model number, I'm sure someone would let you know in about 30 seconds.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
As far as I can tell, it looks like a SDTV, with no component inputs or HDTV (or EDTV for that matter) capability.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Yeppers, a dead give away. No Component Video Inputs.

480p cannot be carried by svideo or composite connections.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Remember, the older DVD players with component did not do progressive as well. The t.v. has to accept a signal strength of 50hz from video to do Progressive.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Sorry Jerome, but I just can't figure out the meaning of your message. First of all, it has little or nothing to do with the original question. Second, older DVD players may not have done progressive conversion as well as newer models, but the video signal that they output would be identical (it's the content of that signal which may be inferior). Finally, a 480 line progressive scan signal has a horizontal frequency of 31.5KHz. and a bandwidth of about 6.75Mhz, so I'm not sure what your 50Hz number is referring to??

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Sorry about the incorrect numbers and I will defer to your numbers in regards to 31.5KHz and 6.75Mhz. The reason I raise this is if your t.v. is an older model, and has component video inputs, I believe that the older model t.v. didn't meet the frequency and bandwith requirement hence the progressive signal wouldn't pass. This was an issue with the older RPTVs as well as the tube t.v.s. That's why I was raising it, but if his t.v. doesn't even have component video, then I guess we can call the post pretty much a waste. Sorry again.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Couldn't you guys have just said, no component inputs plus the fact it is not a "digital" EDTV/HDTV TV translates to NO progressive scan of any kind? The whole discussion about KHz and MHz can be really confusing.:frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks