What's new

How can I tell if my HD STB's HU card is used? (1 Viewer)

J

John Morris

I just bought a Panasonic TU-HDS20 HD STB from Crutchfield's Outlet store for use as an HDTV OTA receiver. They state on the site that although this equipment may be a customer return, it is still warranted by the manufacturer as a new unit. I received my STB today and it looks perfect but I noticed that the Direct TV HU card has been inserted. I realize that this unit requires this card even if Direct TV is not used, but am now wondering if the HU card that came with the unit has been initialized by someone else? I do not plan on getting Direct TV now, but might in the near future should they start to offer all the local channels at no additional cost. I have spoken to Crutchfield who say that they will take care of me but still would like to know now, and not in six months, if I will need to get a new HU card, at an additional cost from DTV, should this one be used?

So, how can I determine if this card has been initialized without installing Direct TV?

Thanks for your help!

Dan B

Screenwriter
This is an obvious question, but have you tried calling DirecTv and asking them?

-Dan B.

J

John Morris

This is an obvious question, but have you tried calling DirecTv and asking them?
Dan B: Sure, I could do that, but I have two concerns with calling them. First, I am going to be testing the Pani against my current HD STB a Sony HD100. The loser is going for Sale on Ebay. If I call them, and the card is unused, they will probably want to register me as owner of that specific HU card, and then if I sell the unit, it will sell for much less since the new owner will have to get a new card from DTV. Second, I originally tried to buy this unit from a local dealer, but balked at the last minute when the dealer tried to get me to sign an agreement to sign up for DirectTV within 90 days or be charged an additional $150. The local dealer said that is DirectTVs new policy even if you only use the unit for OTA HD. So, I am also concerned that DirectTV could also try to force that policy on me now, or at best, make my posibly unused HU card invalid after 90 days and force me to buy a new HU card from them if I decide to get DirectTV after the 90 days has passed.

Is there any way to tell from anything from what I can see on the STB menu or by using some type of remote control key combination?

Thanks!

Dan B

Screenwriter
The only thing that comes to mind is to check the receiver's menu for personal information. Have you checked to see if any purchases were made, if the user profiles or channel guides are customized, etc?

-Dan B.

J

John Morris

Dan: I hadn't even plugged it in yet. That will be in about an hour or so from now. I guess if it doesn't work better than the Sony unit, and I decide to keep my Sony unit, it'll probably be a moot point anyway since I guess it'll go back to Crutchfield.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks