How can I set up my WIRED speakers wireless?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by orestes, Mar 4, 2006.

1. orestes

orestes Second Unit

Ok, since I don't know if I can set my wired speaker wireless, I am asking this. I have a set of Energy Take 5 speaker and Energy Sub. They all are set up with wires, but since I am possibly buy a new receiver, I want to add an extra 2 speaker, but the only way I can do this is if I can set all the speakers wireless, for the configuratin of my home theater bedroom will not allow me to add more speakers unless they are wireless.

I'd appreciate any comments and inputs. Thanks.

Regards,
    orestes

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Are you asking if you can turn existing speakers into wireless?

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. orestes

orestes Second Unit

yes

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    The short answer: No

The long answer: What you’re asking, have you really thought through?

First, there has to be some kind of transmitter connected to the receiver, to send a signal to the speakers. Then there would have to be a receiver located presumably inside the speaker cabinet, to receiver the signal. The signal has to be amplified, presumably with the amp also inside the speaker. The amplifier and receiver don’t run on air; they need some kind of power source. To be completely wireless, that means batteries – which would have to be regularly changed out or recharged. A big battery, since you want the amp to do something between 50-100 watts, right? If not a battery, then you’d have to power it from the wall. This means a power cord – which means you’re no longer wireless. It’s much easier to hide speaker wires than it is power cords.

So we’re left with a couple of logistical questions. Isn’t the Take 5 a really little speaker? How are you going to fit all the necessary electronics inside it? And how much would it cost to outfit it for wireless, even if you could get everything in there? I assure you, you could hire a professional to run the wires you need and have enough money left over to make a few car payments.

If all you need to do is get the rear signal from the front of the room to the back, there are a few “iffy” options. They basically involve a low-end remote amplifier that receives its signal wirelessly. You do have to connect the speakers to the amp, but at least you’re not running wires from the front to the back of the room.

http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles...249&cid=9&pg=1

Note that this gizmo only got a 3.5 out of 5 rating, and it only has 28 watts per channel, and how knows at what frequency response, THD, S/N ratio etc. Don’t expect much.

Radio Shack sells this Transmitter – Receiver/amp combo:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2049805
    http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2049804

It has a little more power – 50 watts (probably a highly optimistic figure) – but like the one above, no meaningful hi-fi specs are published. Probably because they would be embarrassing.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Buttkicker also sells a wireless transmitter for their products. You might call them and ask if they would work. I use them and they work fine (for the buttkickers)

6. DaveHo

DaveHo Supporting Actor

My brother-in-law was faced with the challenge of how to get his rear surround speakers up & running in his apartment. Wiring them was not an option. He went with the Kenwood RFU-6100 and was satisfied. You won't get ear drum shattering volume from it, but it got the job done. Can be had for around $140 on the net.

-Dave