What's new

How can I send messages over a LAN? (1 Viewer)

Mike Woods

Agent
Hi, i've just set up an Intel AnyPoint wireless network using 1.6mbps USB adapters.

How can i send simple text messages between the three computers on the network. I just want a little message to pop up on the other screen(s) so I presume there must be a program in XP to do this somehwhere. How would I do it on the machine that has Win98?

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
You'll have to install a program called winpopup. It's somewhere in win98, and should be in XP. Might need to check the MS knowledge base for further info.

Jesse Leonard

Second Unit
You can use net send. From a dos promt type: net send computer_name_you_are_sending_to your text message. For example: net send bedroomcomputer What time is dinner?
You can also substitute the computer_name_you_are_sending_to with a username (it can be any username on the network.
I am not positive that this will work with Win 98, but I am pretty sure it will.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I dont think Win98 has Winpopup (just checked), but NT has it for sure... I alwats send messages to screw peoples' minds during drafting class :p)

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
Any software for like this for Windows 2000? I'd prefer something Windows-based rather than DOS-prompt.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Winpopup is definitely in Win95, 98 and ME, but it doesn't look like it's a part of XP.

There is probably some 3rd party software, but I've never checked it out.

WinPopup is not available for Win200 or WinXP. It was fazed out by MS a long time ago. The only direct way to message, that is built into the OS, is using the DOS command "net send". There may be third party software to do this but it is not included in the OS.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
The net command is also on all NT and W2K boxes by default, so you can just go to Start, Run and type "net send computername message"... I fail to see the need for a graphical app you'd have to both install and make sure is running on all machines.

Rob FM

Second Unit
Real Name
R
Hey guys, let me know if you find any cool 3rd party software that would do this... I'm running a WinME box (gaming)in one room and a W2K box (work) in another and this would be a cool feature.
:)
~Rob

Eric Alderson

Stunt Coordinator
I use windows messenger over my cable router to send messages and files to the other computer in the house. Works like a charm.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Did a quick search on download.com and there seems to be quite a few that would work for you. Try a couple of them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks