how can i see more sneak previews?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Sam E. Torres, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Sam E. Torres

Sam E. Torres Second Unit

i just found out that big fish comes out january 9th everywhere. this depresses me and excites me greatly at the same time because i saw this movie december 5th. [​IMG] (sorry to rub it in) anywho-so, i'm still high from the experience of seeing a movie so early, and i'm wondering how i can get to see movies really early like this ALL the time...(my friend gave me the tickets for big fish, he just got a bunch from his work). anyone have any advice? i'm in the orlando area, incase you're too lazy to look at my info on the side of this post.

2. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

My only advice would be to subscribe to Entertainment Weekly. Once I subscribed, they sent me some email thingie about being added onto their Sneak Previews mailing list (for major markets).

I didn't respond because I don't need those tix, but it might be worth a shot.

And NO, I don't work for Entertainment Weekly. [​IMG]

3. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

I love reading that magazine, and live in the DFW area of Tx. I may end up subscribing if I can find a good deal, and I'll let you know what comes of it.

4. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

5. Jeff Brooks

Jeff Brooks Second Unit

Jeff Brooks
    I hope this is OK to post. You don't have to subscribe to Entertainment Weekly. Just go to their web site at ew.com/freescreening. I'll be seeing Big Fish and Mona Lisa Smile before their general release. I saw Pirates of the Caribbean that way, also. They just mail you the passes. (I guess it does not hurt to be in a major market, either.)

6. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

I used to live in Orlando. In college, I ended up at a healthy number of free screenings. There are two major ways I got the tix:

1) The student activities department at the University of Central Florida would give away passes.
    2) The Orlando Weekly would have an ad to pick up passes at a particular business (these go fast, so it's best to check for locations the day the Weekly comes out).

There are other ways if you're very persuasive or have no shame. You could get to know people who work at the local theaters and find out when there are "rentals," which is when a company buys out a theater for a screening. If you know people at the theater and there are seats left, they might let you in.

The "no shame" version is to hang around outside a theater where there will be a screening and see if anyone has either an extra pass to give away (happens more often than you'd think) or if there's only one for the "admit two" (you may be able to tag along on their pass).

The last method got me into early screenings of 12 Monkeys and Star Wars Special Edition, among others.

Oh, if you know people who work in radio or TV, they will get passes as a perk sometimes.

7. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

8. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

My sister works in radio so Ive been to alot of screenings, usually only a day or two before release.

A couple exceptions to the general rule was that I did see Titanic about 3 weeks early and Star Wars Ep1 a week early because of her and her press connections.