What's new

How can I record movies on TCM directly to my computer for DVD burning? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
My cable is not close to my computer, but I can adjust that. Further, I really have no need to watch telecasts as they happen - I would be ok with having the satellite signal going directly into my computer or onto TiVo, for burning to DVD. I used to record movies on TCM into an outboard DVD-R recorder, but the movies wound up being compressed and looking terrible on a 46" LCD. Can one record onto TIVO and then transfer uncompressed programs onto DVD-R's? I have no idea about any of this. I know only that I will absolutely NOT pay any satellite service $55.00 a month just to get the one channel I really want (TCM) unless I can get decent-looking DVD burns of movies that have never been released commercially. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Yes, but only if the copy-protection flag hasn't been set by the broadcaster. These days, more and more movies are being shown on cable with the flag set, which means you can't even transfer them from one TiVo to another.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Thanks for the reply, Michael. I guess my only other question would be: were TCM to provide us with a high-def signal, would I be able to record from it without using Blu-ray discs or a special recorder? How does that work with channels that DO broadcast high def? Is the signal 740 or 1080?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Now we're getting into an area where I have less experience, but I'll do my best.

The resolution of HD broadcasts can still vary by channel. The major networks (as far as I know) broadcast their hi-def channels in 1080i, but it's entirely possible that a new channel might go for something like 720p. That would still be a big step up for TCM.

As for recording it, yes, you would need a hi-def capable recorder of some sort. I've been using an HD TiVo for over a year now, and I could never go back.

I don't know anything about Blu-ray recorders. I do know, however, that it's possible to transfer HD TiVo recordings to a desktop computer just as you would a standard definition recording, assuming the copy protection flag hasn't been set. It's just takes a lot longer (and you'd better have a big hard disk).

I've never gone beyond watching such programs on my desktop monitor, but I assume it would be possible to burn the resulting file to a disc with sufficient capacity. Judging from the file sizes, that would require a Blu-ray burner.

OTOH, before going to all that trouble, it might make more sense to look at the latest model HD TiVo, which has such a large hard disk that it just might serve your needs without all this extra work. It's something like 150 hours of HD storage, which means several times that in standard-def storage.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
How does TCM look when viewing a show in real time? That is the biggest issue because if you aren't getting a good signal to begin with, you won't get a good compressed picture.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linda19798888
Recent bookmarks