How can I record from vinyl to CD???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Van Patton, Jul 24, 2001.

1. Van Patton

Van Patton Second Unit

I want to be able to record some of my parents old albums onto CD using my computer. I have a CD burner and a really nice SoundBlaster Live sound card I just dont know what to do to be able to accomplish this.
    ------------------

2. PienSavaca

PienSavaca Stunt Coordinator

Search for "vinyl" on techtv.com
    Different info for different platforms/ sound card/ etc.

3. Seungsoo Hwang

Seungsoo Hwang Stunt Coordinator

I doubt you'll want to get a whole new deal but Denon now has a couple DJ turntables with digital outs on them..

4. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

Get an RCA jack to Mini/headphone jack cable, hook up the stereo from the outputs to the line in on your sound card, get some sound editing software, play the viynl and record it into a WAV file. Edit the file so that each song is a seperate file if you wish (so that each sone will be a track on the CD) and burn them as an audio CD.
    ------------------

5. Alex Johnson

Alex Johnson Stunt Coordinator

i own a stanton str8-80 and it includes an sp/dif digital out on the turntable, so you can hook it right up. it also plays in 33, 45 and 78, pitches +/- 12%, is quartz lock enabled and can play in reverse (comes with a nice elliptical cartridge and stylus).
    i have been using it to record much of my collection to dat for eventual cd mastering, mostly focusing on the original mono mixes of the beatles albums. i can't complain.
    i found it new for us$220, it lists for close to $600..
    it has been selling on clearance because the new str8-100 came out and offers pitch +/-25%. and it retails for $800.
    a
    ------------------
    visit neverville

6. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

quote: Get an RCA jack to Mini/headphone jack cable, hook up the stereo from the outputs to the line in on your sound card, get some sound editing software, play the viynl and record it into a WAV file[/quote]This will work, but your volume level will be WAY low.
    You need to pick up some sort of phono amplification stage in order to feed a true line-level recordable signal into the sound card. There are Phono amps out there that are not too expensive that can get the job done.
    Unless of course you were talking about running the line from the amplifier and not directly from the Turntable in which case your suggestion would work fairly well once you match the levels to record. [​IMG]
    I actually used one to record my LP's in 20-bit 96khz sampling into my Turtle Beach soundcard. I made a regular CD version and then used the DTS Software encoder to make a Stereo DTS CD that retains most of the 20/96 sampling and sounds amazingly good. You can find this software http://www.minnetonkaaudio.com/SurCode_CD_Pro_3.htm
    Ric Perrott
    [Edited last by RicP on July 25, 2001 at 01:25 PM]

7. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

Gee, I hate to kill this thread (I am a member of the Thread Killer Club), but I am recoding LPs to CDs right now.
    I have a Soundblaster MP3 + 5.1 card, and it does come with a decent recorder, although editing and cleaning up WAV files is not included. I run the turntable through a spare receiver with phono inputs through a RCA to stereo mini cable to line-ins on the card.
    After I record all the tracks, I use the Adaptec Easy CD 4 that came with the Plextor CD-RW to make the CDs with text.
    There are full software programs that will do all of this and clean up some crackles, pops and hisses, but for my limited collection of LPs I have not been able to justify the expense.

8. Coressel

Coressel Supporting Actor

I've been considering making CDs of my old LPs by completely by-passing my PC.
    I have the Sony CDR-W66 at work which is a stand-alone CD recorder that has every possible analog and digital input and output on the back. I could either run the turntable straight into the CD or through a mixer first if I want.
    Much easier and no PC sound-cards or compressed files to have to mess with.
    The Sony CDR-W66 is about $1000, but there is another version (CDR-W33) without all the same inputs for $500.
    [Edited last by Coressel on July 26, 2001 at 06:00 AM]

9. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

10. Larry_M

Larry_M Auditioning

as well as everything said i also use a sound addon for soundforge for cleaning up pops, crackles, hiss, etc, soundforge is a professional recording program and the addons can be found for it as well, find this at, sonicfoundry.com
    Larry