How can I make use of 192khz/24-bit feature of my receiver?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Myki Cantero, Jul 22, 2002.

1. Myki Cantero

Myki Cantero Stunt Coordinator

My Pioneer DVD 535 player says 96khz/24-bit in front. From the setup menu, I told it to output 96khz as 96khz (other option is PCM). It's connected digitally to my Marantz SR7200 which says in the manual that it is 192khz/24-bit.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I need 96/24 or 192/24 material to enjoy that feature right? Where do I find these? Is DTS or Dolby Digital intrinsically 96/24 or 192/24?

If I only play regular CDs (44khz), then I'm not using the 96/24 feature of the DVD player or the 192/24 feature of the receiver. Is this right?

Also, what does it mean for a music CD to have 20-bit or 24-bit mastering? Are these the ones built for 96/24?

And finally, there isn't a setting in the Marantz to turn on/off 192/24.

Sorry, am pretty new to all these. Any website link that you can post about these will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

The CD format is inherently 16bit/44.1KHz, and you can't change it without violating the CD format. You can do stuff like resampling, oversampling and upsampling though. I'm not sure if your DVD player does any of these, but I highly doubt it as normally only pretty high-end and expensive gear do this sorta thing.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Every time you use the receiver's DACs for the mains, you are using 192/24, it is a function of the DACs and cannot be turned off. That does not mean your source material is always (or ever) mastered this way. As long as it sounds good now, I wouldn't worry about it. [​IMG]

4. Myki Cantero

Sihan, you're right. My DVD player doesn't have upsamplings of that kind. That's why I prefer to use the digital outs rather than the analog outs so I can use the receivers DACs.

John, that's comforting. No wonder the SR7200 sounded good! I thought that it was 192/24 only if it is fed 192/24 music. I'll e-mail Marantz about this just to make sure.

Anyway, I'm now searching for 96/24 material. I saw that there were some DTS music CDs that are 96/24.

5. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

Myki,

there also are some DVDs (not DVD-Audio) by Chesky Records that have 96/24 PCM signal.

6. Myki Cantero

Thanks Dmitry, I'll give these a try.

I don't know the artists except Sara K. I'll probably get the various artists compilation.

I've heard the Chesky Labs recording of all female artists and they're great.