What's new

How can I make the photos on IMDB downloadable? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I copy many classic movies from TCM onto DVD-R, and like to design my own jewel cases with original poster designs and photos from the respective movies. Most sites allow me to copy photos of posters and screen shots with no problem. In fact, IMDB used to. I have collected hundreds of great stills from movies using IMDB and have created many jewel cases from them (for my own personal use). But lately, I can only copy the thumbnails. When I blow up the image and try to copy or save (they are mostly GIF's), I get absolute blank space. Is there anyway to modify my browser or Windows XP in roder to be able to make these images show up as images? Had no idea where else to post this question but in After Hours...

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I copy many classic movies from TCM onto DVD-R, and like to design my own jewel cases with original poster designs and photos from the respective movies. Most sites allow me to copy photos of posters and screen shots with no problem. In fact, IMDB used to. I have collected hundreds of great stills from movies using IMDB and have created many jewel cases from them (for my own personal use). But lately, I can only copy the thumbnails. When I blow up the image and try to copy or save (they are mostly GIF's), I get absolute blank space. Is there anyway to modify my browser or Windows XP in roder to be able to make these images show up as images? Had no idea where else to post this question but in After Hours...

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Well, a round-about method would be:

- Hit the "Print Screen" button on your keyboard.
- Open MS Paint
- Hit Paste (entire screen should appear)
- Crop the image you want

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Well, a round-about method would be:

- Hit the "Print Screen" button on your keyboard.
- Open MS Paint
- Hit Paste (entire screen should appear)
- Crop the image you want

DougWright

Stunt Coordinator
I dont want to tell you how to circumvent their "attempt" at protecting "their" content cause I am sure it would be against forum rules, so I will just say this... ask some one who knows something about HTML, you can get what you want with ease.

DougWright

Stunt Coordinator
I dont want to tell you how to circumvent their "attempt" at protecting "their" content cause I am sure it would be against forum rules, so I will just say this... ask some one who knows something about HTML, you can get what you want with ease.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Thanks for the suggestion, Greg. Unfortunately, I do not have MS Paint. My "print screen" key seems to do nothing (it says "sys rq" on the key also, so maybe I can't use it with my setup...?) I do have Jasc and Adobe Elements, but trying to open a IMDB photo I thought I had saved results in a blank square in "my pictures". Furthermore, trying to "select all" on the IMDB screen and print the entire page, the space where the photo is comes out as a white, blank square. Obviously they have found some way to display photos while disabling a user's ability to download them. Very clever, but disappointing.

Anyone else have a suggestion?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Thanks for the suggestion, Greg. Unfortunately, I do not have MS Paint. My "print screen" key seems to do nothing (it says "sys rq" on the key also, so maybe I can't use it with my setup...?) I do have Jasc and Adobe Elements, but trying to open a IMDB photo I thought I had saved results in a blank square in "my pictures". Furthermore, trying to "select all" on the IMDB screen and print the entire page, the space where the photo is comes out as a white, blank square. Obviously they have found some way to display photos while disabling a user's ability to download them. Very clever, but disappointing.

Anyone else have a suggestion?

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
If you have one of the newer versions of Internet Explorer, a toolbar should appear over the image if you let your mouse pointer rest over it for a second. Among the options in the toolbar, there's a Save button.

Also, the Print Screen button will work with Jasc Paint Shop Pro. Just hit the Print Screen key, then paste the contents of the clipboard in PSP.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
If you have one of the newer versions of Internet Explorer, a toolbar should appear over the image if you let your mouse pointer rest over it for a second. Among the options in the toolbar, there's a Save button.

Also, the Print Screen button will work with Jasc Paint Shop Pro. Just hit the Print Screen key, then paste the contents of the clipboard in PSP.

WadeB

Stunt Coordinator
Dick,

I just tried the print screen button on imdb and it worked fine for me. What it does is place the entire contens of what you see on the screen on the clipboard. You won't see anything happen when you hit the key, but it's there. Then, go to any imaging software you have, click PASTE, and voila. This should work with any word processing software you have as well. Good Luck.

WadeB

Stunt Coordinator
Dick,

I just tried the print screen button on imdb and it worked fine for me. What it does is place the entire contens of what you see on the screen on the clipboard. You won't see anything happen when you hit the key, but it's there. Then, go to any imaging software you have, click PASTE, and voila. This should work with any word processing software you have as well. Good Luck.

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Look at the HTML source.

They're putting a transparent gif on top of the jpg you're trying to view. Find the jpg in the HTML code and enter it directly into your browser and then save the picture.

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Look at the HTML source.

They're putting a transparent gif on top of the jpg you're trying to view. Find the jpg in the HTML code and enter it directly into your browser and then save the picture.

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
That's pretty sneaky of them. Companies get more and more clever everyday. Couldn't you just go to allposers.com or some other site that doesn't make you work as hard to get the photos?

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
That's pretty sneaky of them. Companies get more and more clever everyday. Couldn't you just go to allposers.com or some other site that doesn't make you work as hard to get the photos?

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I did this several times the other day. Here's how. This should work on any photo in the Studio Stills Photo Gallery for any actor, acrtress, or movie.

For example, go to this page: http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/02415...th_key=0241527

Open the source, and look for the following:

http://i.imdb.com/mptv1.gif

Look to the left of that code. There will be a url. Copy that URL into your address bar.

Hope that helps. And I'll probably use this for reference later.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I did this several times the other day. Here's how. This should work on any photo in the Studio Stills Photo Gallery for any actor, acrtress, or movie.

For example, go to this page: http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/02415...th_key=0241527

Open the source, and look for the following:

http://i.imdb.com/mptv1.gif

Look to the left of that code. There will be a url. Copy that URL into your address bar.

Hope that helps. And I'll probably use this for reference later.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

Where? It's not in the address bar.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions. Wade's worked just fine. Not as easy as the old copy and paste, but not difficult and the results are as they used to be - great!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

Where? It's not in the address bar.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions. Wade's worked just fine. Not as easy as the old copy and paste, but not difficult and the results are as they used to be - great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks