How can I make my RPTV die prematurely?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Simonian, Jan 1, 2002.

1. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

I remember a thread like this but with receivers.
    I want my 5 year old Hitatchi RPTV to die so I can get a new HDTV. My dad would get one if it does. Anyone know a way to make it look like an "accident"? [​IMG]

2. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

Burn it! And then say it overheated. [​IMG]

3. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Crank the brightness and contrast up to maximum, and then display a pure white image on the screen. Then tape the air vents closed. That should do it.

4. Stacy Huff

Stacy Huff Second Unit

5. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    lol crap.. didnt know they were so dangerous!

""Every year, we have a few injuries caused by defective firmware in laserdisc CD or DVD players causing the lasers to misfire, and target the user"

Sounds like a possessed DVD Player!

6. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Scott,
    If it weren't an Hitachi, I'd say go into the service menu when nobody's around and screw things up royally.
    Hitachis of that age don't really have much if any of a service menu. If you can remove the front speaker grille panel, and the wooden panel behind that, you may find a small plastic box with 6 little knobs on it. The top 3 knobs are labelled "screen" I think, and are for the red, green, and blue guns. crank one of these a bit and the whole picture will turn one color. I'd try for a really bilious green.

7. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Boy, if you were my son...

8. Marv

Marv Stunt Coordinator

Someone tell me that the link to the story of the explosion is a joke! Looks like tornado damage.

9. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

Did anyone catch this wierd coincedence in this article?

10. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

Ryan - Dont worry, Im "probably" not going to do it. I just want a new tv. [​IMG]

11. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Let me guess, that headline was dated 04/01 right?

12. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

Here's what you do:

1. Turn off the breaker switch for the TV's outlet.

2. Just before your intended audience enters the room, insert a smoke bomb into the back of the set and light the fuse.

3. At the right moment, take the remote and pretend to try turning on the set.

4. Smoke will pour from the set, but it won't turn on.

5. Unplug the ruined set and turn the breaker switch back on.

Problem solved.

13. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    How would oyu go about ruining a DirectView TV? :p) Mine's more than 11 years old for chrissakes, and my dad still wont buy a new one. The colors are f-ed, it turns black and white occasionally, and it just goes totally wonky on some DVD menus and stuff (like it flashes and 'rolls'. Kinda like setting your computer monitor to a incompatible resolution or refresh rate). Im seriously thinking of breaking it purposely... but thats just evil, and i dont think i can live with the guilt of making my dad shell out $3500 CAD for a new set.
    Heh, the bad thing about having a teenage HT-addict... They'll always try to find ways to ruin the stuff to make you buy more! [​IMG]

14. Stacy Huff

Stacy Huff Second Unit

Hey Nick,

Next time you have a little too much fun, you could throw up directly into the vents on that direct view set. I bet that would do the trick.

15. Dwight Amato

Dwight Amato Stunt Coordinator

Stacy, I'm not so sure that will work. My parents have a what must be at least 20 year old TV set in their basement that has had more then it's share of cat puke directly in the vent holes over the past 15 years. Still works like a charm.

16. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    [​IMG] stacey.. haven't noticed you for awhile! [​IMG] I take it you saw my 'New Years' thread in POLLS? [​IMG]

17. Stacy Huff

Stacy Huff Second Unit

Yep, I saw the New Year's poll. I saw a "hangover cures" article at Netscape that I wanted to send to you.
    CAT PUKE!!! Well, perhaps there is a flaw in my plan, but I think Nick's might have been a bit more powerful than the cat's. In fact, given the right combination, it might even have produced a scene like the one in that article about the overused D-ILA lamp.
    [​IMG]

18. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Anyone who would destroy a perfectly good piece of equipment operating reasonably within its manufacturer's specifications is not mature enough to have or possess a new one. Worse than a pan and scan fanatic.
    If your parent, fiance(e), roommate, etc. is satisfied with it and doesn't want to upgrade, save up the money yourself and buy something of your own that you like.
    More video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

19. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

why dont you just sell it? that way you get some money to buy something else. wrecking a working tv that is still in good condition is just crazy.

20. Huey

Huey Agent

First unplug the TV (or you have a shocking experience). Then get a straight pin and stick it through the wire shorting the 2 wire of the power cord right at the TV entry (so that you can't easily see what's wrong with the power cord). Lastly use a wire cutter to cut the pin completely flushed with the black power cord so that you can't easily see the pin. You can touch it up with a dot of a black permanent marker to completely hide the shininess of the pin going through the power cord. Every time dad tries to plug it in, it would short out the breaker causing the lights to go out. Dad of course will go to flip the breaker switch back on. After a few tries depending on how dense and persistent dad is, he'll give up and get a new TV. This should not cause any permanent damage to your house, dad, or TV. Once dad got a new TV delivered, then you can pull out the pin with a needle nose pliers or hemostat. You can then claim to have fixed the TV and therefore deserve to have it in your room [​IMG].