How can I make my remote work through a cabinet??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael P, Apr 12, 2002.

1. Michael P

Michael P Agent

Hello, I recently put my receiver in a stereo cabinet and want to find a way to make the remote work with the cabinet door shut. I have the oem remote and a pronto. Are there any inexpensive ways to do this, without leaving the door open[​IMG]
    Thanks Mike

2. Daren Welsh

Daren Welsh Supporting Actor

My Mits came with IR repeaters. You plug them into the back of the TV and then put the emitters in your cabinet facing the IR recievers of your equipment. Then point the remote at the TV and voila, the signal is forwarded to the hidden equipment. I've never used these, though, and I don't know where you can get them elsewhere. Would X-10 or remotecentral.com have something like this?

3. James Mudler

James Mudler Stunt Coordinator

4. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor

This is what I use. Cheap and gets the job done. I have a dual IR repeater that came with my TV which I plugged into a 1/8" mic jack in the back of the hidden pyramid and it contols everything. Not bad for $50. You can buy the repeaters or additional receivers too.
    Ralph

5. Troy Swope

Troy Swope Stunt Coordinator

I use the exact system Ralph mentions above. My system works great, i can control all of my devices that are mounted in a hallway closet from my hometheater in the other room. works great!!

6. Daniel Swartz

Daniel Swartz Second Unit

Ralph and Troy: Do those Radioshack receivers operate on the 2.4GHz band? 900Mhz? Other? Thanks.

7. Bill_Weinreich

Bill_Weinreich Second Unit

Daniel,
    It works on about 418 MHz. Specs arehere
    Bill

8. Daniel Swartz

Daniel Swartz Second Unit

Thanks Bill!

9. Selden Ball

Selden Ball Second Unit

Selden
    In Michael's original post, he mentioned running his system with the doors shut. I hope allowance has been made to provide plenty of air flow. A/V equipment can generate a lot of heat. When you overheat electronics, it tends to develop intermittant problems and have a shorter lifetime. Many receivers include an over-temperature shutdown. Losing the image and sound in the middle of a movie can be, shall we say, inconvenient.

10. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor

I will second what Selden says about ventilation. I have fans running off the switched outlet in the back of my Yamaha receiver. The fans work wonders when the equipment is on, but my Hughes HD STB generates heat even with the power off, so I'm looking at plug-in thermostats that will kick the fans on when the cabinet starts to warm up. I thought about running the fans 24/7 but they'd burn out in a little over a year!