How can I lower the signal going to my subs?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by SteveSpoon, Sep 22, 2005.

1. SteveSpoon

SteveSpoon Stunt Coordinator

Built a couple small Dayton 4 ohm 8" subs in a sealed cabinet. Powering them with my Yamaha M-80 amp [​IMG] . Getting the signal for the subs using my yamaha DSP-E492 processor.

Here's the problem. I believe the processor has a cutoff of around 200 HZ. The subs are getting too much "higher" frequencies, and don't sound good.

I take the subs out to my car, plug them into the car sub circuit, and they sound fantastic!!

How do I lower the frequencies going to these subs?

Thanks.

Steve

2. SteveSpoon

Also, I am using an old Technics SA-1010 as the "main" amp, and simply using the DSP-E492 to route the sub signals to the M-80 and then to the subs.

Built these little boogers just for the sake of doing it. Fun project, but somehow I need to get the right signal going to them.

Steve

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    What you need is either a crossover or a plate amp that has a built in x-over.

4. SteveSpoon

Any suggestions on a crossover? Don't really want to use a plate amp, since I have this M-80 amp sitting around doing nothing.

Steve

5. BradJudy

BradJudy Stunt Coordinator

You could use something like FMOD in-line lowpass filters - http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....7&WebPage_ID=3

But, if your processor is only sending 200Hz and up to the main speakers, you'll create a gap in a very important frequency range. Can the processor be configured to change the crossover point it uses? - No, answered below

Hmmm...just looked at your product manual and it says that it's 150Hz or 200Hz depending on the mode. This is an old DPL only device, so it doesn't have much flexibility. You might be better off buying a really cheap new or used modern receiver than messing with this.

Answer - don't attempt to introduce a crossover into this system as you will lose frequencies. Look at buying a new cheap receiver and enter the world of DD/DTS.

6. John Garcia

John
    Based on what was said, it doesn't sound like there is an x-over in there at all. There must be SOME x-over in the loop and it would ideally be designed to compliment the drivers and box, then you can feed it a full range signal and let the passive x-over handle the filtering.

7. SteveSpoon

Well, the only reason I have the DSP-E492 in the loop at all is because I wanted to run a couple small unpowered subs (Dayton 8" 4 ohm woofers). I'm using my yamaha M-80 to power the subs, since they have no trouble handling the 4 ohm load.

This system, is the system I use upstairs in my house for audio only. My video system is in the basement.

Anyway, I'm using an old Technics SA-1010 receiver powering a couple small tower Fluance speakers. I love this old receiver......cool looking and lots of power!!

But after reading the manual myself, the DSP-E492, in my opinion, is sending too high of a signal to the subs. And I can't figure out how to send only very low frequencies to them.

I'm trying to find a low pass filter on partsexpress (couldn't get link to work).

Thanks again.

Steve

8. John Garcia

John
    Search for FMOD for inline passive filters. For small passive crossovers, do a search for LOW PASS crossover.

Typical 8" drivers aren't going to be able to handle the lowest frequencies.

9. SteveSpoon

Ok, I'll go and try hunt them down over at partsexpress.

I wasn't really looking for real "deep" bass with these. Just a fun project to hammer out (and my Yamaha M-80 does a fairly good job at "hammering" [​IMG] ) some extra bass.

Thanks again.

steve

10. SteveSpoon

Part number 295-545 8" subs.

Steve

11. SteveSpoon

12. SteveSpoon

13. johnBee

johnBee Auditioning

check out part# 260-221. Good luck

14. SteveSpoon

Thanks. I'll go check that out as well.

Steve

15. SteveSpoon

So which filter should I order? 100Hz, 70Hz, ????? for these little 8inch subs? Thanks.

Steve

16. SteveSpoon

Anybody?

17. SteveSpoon

I really would like to start using these little subs again, but was hoping someone could steer me in the right direction on where the cutoff should be for these subs. Thanks in advance.

Steve

18. John Garcia

John
    I'd start with 100Hz.

19. SteveSpoon

Thanks a lot, John. I was thinking either 70 or 100.......I'll give the 100 a shot. Thanks again.

Steve