What's new

How can I improve the way my system sounds? (1 Viewer)

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Hello all

It has been a LONG while since I posted last, and I am proud to say that I now have a home theater set up that was pretty inexpensive. Currently, I own the following:

Toshiba 2150/1600 DVD player(Amazon.com for $220)

Toshiba SuperTUBE 36" TV ($800 - at CostCo)

Yamaha RX-V420 Receiver($300 at PCRichards)

JBL SCS 135($430 also at PCRichards)

with the following interconnects:

A/V: Radio Shack Gold A/V interconnects

S-Video: Monster S-Video (DVD to TV)

Now I am wondering how I can inexpensively improve the sound of my system.

Should I get new cables for my DVD, receiver, and front speakers?

If so how do better cables.com and catcables speaker wires compare?

Also, any suggestions on how one should decorate/furnish the room will be appreciated, since currently, the walls are bare....

Please help!

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Get some fabric on the walls, maybe?
Tapestries, quilts, curtains, and the like. Bare floor or carpet? Get a rug if bare.
Calibrate it, too, if you haven't. Avia / SPL meter treatment.
Have fun!
:emoji_thumbsup:

Nick G

Stunt Coordinator
Woo, the quality of the sound you hear is almost completely comprised of speaker choice, room acoustics, speaker placement and speaker calibration. If you want to improve your sound these are the areas to look into. New interconnects and speaker wire (assuming 14G or better in place) will net you no imporvement other than the placebo effect.

Regards, Nick

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
Move your speaker around. Speaker placement is your best no cost option.

When you say "improve the way my system sounds" what exactly are you looking for? Tell us what you're not satisfied with, it'll be easier for others to help you. And is it only HT sound you're looking for and not music?

Speakers

Receiver

Sub

That will be the order in which I will go about my upgrade. It depends on how much money you can afford to spend though. I put receiver before sub because once you get a better set of speakers you will need more power. Some may recommend an amp but I think you'll be better off with a better receiver.

I wouldn't spend my money on cables since you can easily use the money to upgrade your other components. I guess the same thing can be said to me too. haahaa

Ariel

Stunt Coordinator
same as howard. upgrade the speakers, receiver then the sub.

in my opinion, the cables will be the last tweak you can do after reaching a point of having the best speakers and other associated equipment (in your preference) and still need to improve something.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Plan - What I want, and how I will get it.
Do - Get it. (Sounds like you've done that). Those little JBL's caught my attention - My sister-in-law wants Bose. Do you recommend this system??
Check - Is this what you expected ? Is this what you want?
Act - Correct the faults, if any. Start planning again.
It works for business...why not HT?
Keep your tweeters at ear level all around if you can. Adjust to suit taste.
Enjoy.
- CM:emoji_thumbsup:

NathanP

Supporting Actor
Processors Processors Processors!

Oh wait, that was last week..

Equalizers Equalizers Equalizers!

I find that when my system has proper equalization, I can get my speakers to sound ALMOST as good as some high end speakers..

So, by a 5 channel EQ and that just might add some serious sh** to your system..

Nathan

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
New interconnects and speaker wire (assuming 14G or better in place) will net you no imporvement other than the

placebo effect.
I went from a 14G wire to Nordost Flatline Cables and noticed a tremendous improvement in sound in my Paradigm Monitor 7's. I heard instruments I had never previously heard on my CD's. This, like all other HT item, is a matter of personal opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks