How can I improve AM reception?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Strang, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

I like to record distant AM stations at night and I'm trying to figure out how to get better AM reception.

I have a Denon tuner and an old GE boombox. Which one I use depends on the reception of a given station.

I'm using Cooledit Pro and recording at 11025 sampling rate at 16 bit res since it's AM. Sometimes I will record stereo and send the tuner's signal to the left channel and have some internet radio station's signal recording on the right channel. Works pretty well but you need good separation in your analog electronics to avoid crosstalk and hearing the other station from the other channel.

Any ideas greatty appreciated.

2. Ken Garrison

Ken Garrison Supporting Actor

Ever hear of AM STEREO? I heard AM Stereo. Sounds a lot better than FM too.

3. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

Sounds a lot better than FM stereo? AM stereo never sounded very good to me and seemed like an invention that was a waste of time (like CED video disc which was a silly idea).

I've heard AM stereo via Belair stereo AM monitors running through a Crown D-75 with JBL 4412's. I still sounded crappy.

Then again FM doesn't sound all that great either but it's better than AM stereo.