What's new

How can I hook up both DVD-A and SACD with one set of 5.1 inputs? (1 Viewer)

Lawrence

Agent
Here's my dilemna: I have an RP-91 and love DVD-A. However, there are several SACDs I'd like to own as well so I'm interested in getting a Sony SACD player. The problem is my receiver only has one set of 5.1 inputs. Is there a switch box that will allow me to hook up two 5.1 output devices to a receiver with one set of 5.1 inputs? Thanks in advance.

Michael_T

Second Unit
I have the same problem, in that I have the Technics DVD-A10 and the Sony CE775. I just kept switching RCA cables at the rear of my Integra Receiver, but I starting getting paranoid about the RCA connections becoming loose. So I went out and bought 3 very good sets of RCA extension cables, so that I only have to switch the leads on the cables and not the inputs on the receiver. I haven't noticed any degredation of sound.
I was cautioned against using Y-cables since you can have signal leakage - which could damage either the reciever (if you inadvertently have both DVD-A and SACD players on), or the players themselves.
I inquired about a switching device like you mention, but there does not seem to be anything of high quality in my price range. I have heard people talk about a product called the Switchman 2, but it cost about $3,500.
Short of buying a new receiver (like the top of the line Denon, or the new Sony top of the line ES model) which has dual 5.1 analog bypass inputs, I will stick to switching the leads on the RCA extension cables I purchased.

DEAN DE FURIA

Stunt Coordinator
I had the same problem. I went to Radio Shack and purchased 3 stereo input switch boxes. They are small and three of them lined up are about the width of a receiver. Each box switches up to three stereo sources. Your going to need an extra set of cables too. When you want to use one of the sources just click on all three boxes. This works really great and I have not heard any difference when running the cables direct to the receiver or into the switch boxes. Total cost should be about $75.00 for everything. It's worth a try!

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
This works really great and I have not heard any difference when running the cables direct to the receiver or into the switch boxes.
That's interesting. I would be wary of such a solution because I would expect degredation, but it looks like it works fine for you.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
depending on the price range, the sony ta-p9000es should do the trick. i think the going street price is $450. do a search for it and there's a thread about it on here somewhere.
kevin t

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I use cheap Radio Shack switches like Dean and the results are fine to my ears.
------------------
Philip Hamm
AIM: PhilBiker

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
This is a very good discussion. I have the problem since I have a Technics DVD-A10 for DVD-Audio and a Sony SCD-C555ES for multi-channel SACD. I have been toying with the idea of getting Y-adapters, but I have heard about the problems with them that Michael raised. The Radio Shack switch boxes sound intriguing. Could someone post a link to this product from Radio Shack's web site? The Sony TA-P9000ES pre-amp looks to be the ultimate solution short of getting a new receiver, but at $450, it is considerably more expensive than the alternatives others here have employed.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Keith,
The Sony solution isn't the ultimate solution -- the EMM Labs Switchman-2 is. It is a superb analog preamplifier, with up to 4 6 channel inputs.
It is pricey, and its intended use is really the pro market, but its a seriously good product.
Regards,
------------------
John Kotches
Contributing Writer
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks