How can I grab screenshots?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ric Easton, Mar 26, 2002.

1. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

Mainly this would be used for future ST:TNG covers and inserts. Many shots from the internet are of low quality are just too small for me to use. My computer has a DVD player and I have two programs for grabbig pics of my computer screen. One is called Printkey and the other is Snagit, but neither one works. I can grab a shot from anything else on my computer, but when I try to grab a DVD still, I just end up with a blank picture. I know alot of people use screenshots for their reviews, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ric

2. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

Try PowerDVD.

3. Bac Bradley

Bac Bradley Stunt Coordinator

You can do it through any DVD software on the computer the old fashioned way, just hit "print screen" and paste it into Paint.

4. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

5. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    Forget about using normal PC screen capture utilities. You want the DVD player software itself to support it.
    I'm sure there are probably more sophisticated or elegant solutions, but I just use the DVD Player software that comes with Windows (in my case Windows ME).
    Pause on the frame you want and push the capture button. A dialog box appears in which you can save the shot as a jpeg file anywhere you want. That's it.
    Note: for letterboxed movies the jpeg will include the black bars. If you want to remove them you will need to crop using any capable image editing program -- I use Irfanview freeware www.irfanview.com/english.htm.

6. Kajs

Kajs Second Unit

I found the best is the Windows DVD player. It keeps anamorphic in the right ration, when I used Power DVD it doesn't convert the anamorphic to the correct 16x9 ratio. And with the Windows one you can save them as JPGs or BMP, the bitmaps are super clear, I always use them as my wallpaper.

7. Ric Easton

Is the Windows DVD player the same as their Media player? I have tried it with this but didn't have any luck. Does it have anything to do with my Geforce Video card settings?

I will also give PowerDVD a try.

-Ric

8. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    How do you grab them with Windows DVD player?

9. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    No, the Windows DVD Player is not the same as Windows Media Player.

Search for the file dvdplay.exe on your hard drive -- it's probably in C:WINDOWS if it's like mine (Windows ME). I created a shortcut icon for the desktop.

Once in the software there is a button with a dot in the middle of it. Click on it when you are paused on the frame you want to capture.

10. Ric Easton

I found the dvdplay.exe file! I clicked on it and it started Windows Media Player! Perhaps they did away with the DVD player for Windows XP?

Downloaded and installed a trial version of Power DVD. The picture does not seem as good and you're right about it stretching the picture. That can be fixed in Photoshop though.

Thanks for your help and suggestions guys.

-Ric

11. Josh_Hill

Josh_Hill Screenwriter

I have a windows XP and I use WinDVD. So, where is this capture button at?

12. Ric Easton

I think that WinDVD and the Windows DVD Player are two different programs. Intervideo makes WinDVD and I assume Microsoft made the Windows DVD Player, which I think they got rid of for Windows XP.

-Ric

13. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn

14. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    I tried using PowerDVD to get a shot of Sharon Stone once (don't ask) and discovered that the resulting image was deliberately degraded by the software. In order to get an image of acceptable quality and at the correct dimensions, I had to resort to illicit means. This entailed ripping the DVD to my hard drive and using a program to isolate the frame I needed at the correct resolution, which I could then grab using Print Screen.

15. Ric Easton

Wow, that sounds like alot of work, Jonathan! I guess I will stick with the PowereDVD option for now, even though I'm not particularly happy with the quality, I have been able to sharpen things up a bit in Photoshop.

-Ric

16. Neil White

Neil White Supporting Actor

Press the P key during playback in WinDVD and you'll produce a BMP file. You need hardware acceleration (sometimes called motion compensation) disabled on your display adpater settings to do this.

N

17. HenrikTull

HenrikTull Second Unit

I use PowerDVD and was wondering if there is anyway of converting anamorphic transfers to jpg without distorting the picture (it doesn't stretch)?

18. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

Any graphics program should be able to allow you to resize the pictures to the level you'd like. Resize the PowerDVD caps from 720x480 to 720x407 and you'll be good to go. If you deal with image caps on a regular basis, it would be worth recording actions in Photoshop for batch processing.