How can I get rid of the blac bars on my 16:9 toshiba 34" tv

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nick V, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

Is there any way to get rid of the black bars on some movies. All of the 2.35:1 movies have black bars on top and bottom and they really piss me off!!

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

All of the 2.35:1 movies have black bars on top and bottom, irrespective of whether you have a widescreen or 4:3 TV.
    Bottom line watch the movie not the TV.[​IMG]

3. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

It's not my tv, it's my friends, and he wanted me to post here. I still have a 27" 4:3 tv and I live with my parents [​IMG]. I tried to explain to him that there were black bars and that it's a direct transfer of how the film was created (right??) but he though that for sure there would be a way to fix it.

4. Allan Mack

Allan Mack Supporting Actor

Well, if your friend's DVD player and/or TV has a zoom feature, you could get rid of the black bars, but then you'd be cropping out the sides of the picture...

5. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

While the point has been made, you might point out to your friend that all widescreen sets will display 2:35:1 movies, regardless of type, make or model with black bars. A trip to a local dealers should convince him of that, if necessary, as he can see the same movie on multiple sets simultaneously.

Using the zoom feature has already been suggested.

There really is no difference between a 4:3 set displaying a 2:35:1 movie and a 16:9 set displaying the same movie. It is only that the size of the black bars is reduced on the widescreen set.

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

You might mention to your friend that until the time comes when all films are shot at the same aspect ratio, no fixed-aspect ratio television can possibly show films always without "black bars." Point out to him that his widescreen set is shaped at 1.78:1, and that logically it follows that a film shaped 2.35:1 will not fill a 1.78:1 screen entirely.

This issue confuses a lot of people.

7. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

8. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Doesn't it have a stretch mode that will fill the screen? This can be done I believe but the picture will be a little distorted. Everything will look a little tall and thin. I don't know this toshiba set so I'm not sure it has this feature but I imagine it does. Or you can zoom it and cut off some of the picture.

Tell him, that's just the ratio of the film and it's best viewed in the original aspect ratio and to get used to it.

9. Ken Garrison

Ken Garrison Supporting Actor

Tell him the movie is wider than the TV, therefore, black bars are required because you're putting a wider film in a not-so-wide TV. It's simple math. Anybody knows that.

10. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

It actually took me over an hour to explain it to him yesterday on MSN. He thought that "fullscreen" movies showed the whole movie, and that all other movies had the top and bottom chopped off. I explained the math to him, 2.35:1 = 21.15:9, and 1.85:1 = 16.65:9, hence the black bars. He finally understands, but still doesn't like the bars.

He was going to buy LOTR in "fullscreen" mode and stretch the picture so that he wouldn't get black bars, but I think I convinced him to go with the widescreen version. The fact that he was going to lose something like 30-40% of what was actually filmed seemed like a big enough detriment for him to reconsider.

11. Warner

Warner Agent

12. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

13. Ken Garrison

That sloabergoat dumbyshoe. Well, Directv suspended our service until we can get the bill paid. Last night, we watched a couple of my DVDs and some widescreen movies I recorded on to TAPE. My mom wanted to rent some VHS. I told her, "I want to at least get ONE DVD that I can watch". She mentioned she didn't want the black bars and shit. I explained I don't like watching films remodified to fit the screen. So, she gave me 5 bucks, and I went over to the video store and rented Red Planet, which I've seen before in fullscreen. I tell ya, it was like watching a completely different movie. After I got home, she went and rented some VHS. While she was gone, I watched my movie. Now she's back, I'm cooking dinner and playing on the computer, and she and my uncle are watching VHS. Pretty ironic, yes. I wish VHS was mostly widescreen also. She COULD'VE rented Cast Away on DVD. The black bars are just the same size as on the show Angel on WB with that movie. Well, guess I'll have my DVD and she'll have that shitty VHS with the damn Pan and Scan shit.

14. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Ken: Have you tried explaining the reason for the black bars to your mother? Also, I doubt Nick's friend is whatever it is you just called him; he's just in need of some education. Looks like Nick's friend understands now. And now it looks as if you need to educate your mother about aspect ratios--but don't make an issue of it and get her mad at you (the way I'm certain she'd be if she knew you posted a comment about the DirecTV service being cut off). JB

15. Ken Garrison

I TRIED explaining OAR to her. But she still don't want them black bars. My dad kinda understands it and doesn't really care about the black bars. In fact, I was watching How the West Was Won, and after he got home, he asked me what I was watching. I told him, then he said, "Oh, a Cinerama Film!" He then pointed out the lines from having the 3 images stitched together. I go, "Yes I know! I know all about it." I do have a sign from Widescreen Advocate posted on my door. I tried to explain to Mom that letterbox gets more picture. I did talk her out of renting the VHS of Planet of the Apes (the good one) and buying me the DVD off eBay. I said to her. "You want me to see this movie, I wanna see it in it's original theatrical format." She's also seen the example they showed on Channel 201 where the lady explained OAR. I dunno. It's gonna take a while. Eventually, we'll have a widescreen TV. And we'll HAVE to get letterbox. Black bars on the side when watching a pan and scan movie on a widescreen TV is WAY more annoying. And there are people out there with widescreen TVs watching old Pan and Scan movies ZOOMED, losing even MORE picture. If Pan and Scan never existed and letterbox was our only choice, this argument people have wouldn't really exist.

16. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Yeah, pan and scanned, stretched to fill a 16:9 screen...the cinematographer would be spinning in his grave! I can just hear him ranting: "Oh, just focus on the leading lady's tits, spread 'em over the whole screen, and forget the rest of the movie!"
    Nick V:
    I'm surprised that no one has suggested the obvious solution: Kill your friend, assume his identity and watch his widescreen TV all you want! [​IMG] (Sometimes the answer to life's problems is just staring you in the face.)
    Jan

17. kevin_tomb

kevin_tomb Stunt Coordinator

DO what I do....dont look at black bars and WATCH THE MOVIE......[​IMG]

18. Ken Garrison

It's simple. You gotta Panoramic picture and a square frame. You put a rectangle in a square, you are gonna get empty space on the top and bottom. That's the way I look at it. It's just a nice Panoramic view of the movie. I love it. In fact, when I was in the barber shop getting my hair cut the other day, I noticed some pictures on the wall. Well, the pictures were panoramic and the frames were square. Well, instead of having the pictures cropped and resized to fit those frames, they were just put in the frame "as-is" with a black background. LETTERBOX. I thought that was kinda cool.

19. Dave Getson

Dave Getson Stunt Coordinator

Nick and Ken, check out this article. It may help to educate your friend/mother if they can SEE the difference:
    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articl...reenorama.html
    It explains the difference between full screen and widescreen. It includes screenshots of movies in both full and widescreen so you can actually see what you're missing when you watch full screen. Page 2 of the article is the most revealing as far as comparisons go.

20. Ken Garrison

Well, I rented Shanghi Noon today on DVD. Of course, mom had to watch it too because I use the computer as our DVD player. Around the beginning, she said "If this was in fullscreen, at least you can see the top of their hats." I'm like, oh bullshit. I told her you wouldn't see the top of their hats in the fullscreen version either. Since I was too into the movie, I did my best to explain it. Then she replied, "well their still annoying" Like someone posted on this forum somewhere before, Pay attention to the movie, not the way it's shaped on the TV. I got up and went to the TV, showed her that they whack off the sides and blow up the picture. At the end of the movie, I loaded up Ryan Wright's little thing and played it, but she was on the phone then. I hope she looked at it. Yeah, I have the computer hooked up to the TV, remember. Anyway, Shanghi was a pretty funny movie. I think Jackie Chan rulz! And there were some parts in there that would SUCK in Pan and Scan. Like when they're in the bathtub. One on one side and one on the other. That would drive me nuts in Pan and Scan if I can only see one at a time. Well, I hope I can get mom to understand better. She'll probably change her mind if we get a widescreen TV and she gets those nasty black bars on the sides of the VHS movies, plus VHS looks like shit on an HDTV, as so I heard. Wish me luck on this one and I wish the same to all of you too.