What's new

How can I get headphone output with a preamp that has no jack (1 Viewer)

I've got a Parasound AVC-2500 which has no headphone jack. I would like to be able to use headphones late at night when the family is sleeping. Can I just use a "Y" splitter and send the signal to both my amp (turned off) and a set of headphones or is the preamp signal not compatible with the headphone requirements (volts, etc.)? If not, do I need to get a headphone amp to hook up to the preamps line level and use it that way? The headphones are just a pair of Sennheiser - nothing exotic. If a separate amp is necessary, any recommendations or advice? Thanks.

Larry

Robert Lenarcik

Auditioning
Larry,
You might want to check out Link Removed. They cater to headphone users but it appears the site may not be up for much longer. The question of driving a headphone directly from Pre-outs has been covered. The short answer: it depends. Depends on the output impedance of the pre-outs and the headphone impedance.
I've got the AVC-2500 also and I am using the Sennheiser DSP Pro with HD580s for late night listening. The DSP Pro is a headphone amp and Pro Logic decoder that simulates surround modes with headphones. Check out http://www.audioadvisor.com- they have a simpler model called the DSP 360 that you can find for $35-$50.
I picked DSP Pro up as a package with the HD580s. The DSP Pro is not bad for video source listening with the simulated surround modes and 2 channel audio listening with no processing, but I would not recommend it for critical music listening.
I am looking for a real solution for 2-channel listening and I've found only a couple reasonably priced options (~$200):
The Rega Ear. It can output about 110mW into a 300 Ohm load (Sennheisers are rated at 320 Ohm impedance).
Parasound's Zamp. It's a 1/2 width power amp that puts out 35 WPC into 8 Ohms and has a headphone jack. Power can be triggered from the AVC-2500 - it's mainly designed to be used as a Zone 2 amp. The only problem with that arrangement is you cannot use any digital sources for Zone 2. The DACs only drive the main zone.
Hope that helps.
- Bob

RichardMA

Second Unit
You can also use an older receiver if you want.
You run the preamp outputs (left/right) to the
"main ins" on the receiver if it supports this.
You then use the old receiver's volume control and
headphone jack.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I imagine that Radio Shack, mcmelectronics.com and partsexpress.com may also have gizmos that do the same thing...

Thanks a lot, guys. I really appreciate the help. I didn't know that the ZAMP had a headphone jack. I looked at it on the Parasound website and that seems to be the perfect solution to my problem. Again, my thanks.

Larry

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samtbax
Recent bookmarks