How can I get headphone output with a preamp that has no jack

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Larry Carlson, Jun 10, 2002.

1. Larry Carlson

I've got a Parasound AVC-2500 which has no headphone jack. I would like to be able to use headphones late at night when the family is sleeping. Can I just use a "Y" splitter and send the signal to both my amp (turned off) and a set of headphones or is the preamp signal not compatible with the headphone requirements (volts, etc.)? If not, do I need to get a headphone amp to hook up to the preamps line level and use it that way? The headphones are just a pair of Sennheiser - nothing exotic. If a separate amp is necessary, any recommendations or advice? Thanks.

Larry

2. Robert Lenarcik

Robert Lenarcik Auditioning

Larry,
    You might want to check out http://www.headwize.com. They cater to headphone users but it appears the site may not be up for much longer. The question of driving a headphone directly from Pre-outs has been covered. The short answer: it depends. Depends on the output impedance of the pre-outs and the headphone impedance.
    I've got the AVC-2500 also and I am using the Sennheiser DSP Pro with HD580s for late night listening. The DSP Pro is a headphone amp and Pro Logic decoder that simulates surround modes with headphones. Check out http://www.audioadvisor.com- they have a simpler model called the DSP 360 that you can find for $35-$50.
    I picked DSP Pro up as a package with the HD580s. The DSP Pro is not bad for video source listening with the simulated surround modes and 2 channel audio listening with no processing, but I would not recommend it for critical music listening.
    I am looking for a real solution for 2-channel listening and I've found only a couple reasonably priced options (~$200):
    The Rega Ear. It can output about 110mW into a 300 Ohm load (Sennheisers are rated at 320 Ohm impedance).
    Parasound's Zamp. It's a 1/2 width power amp that puts out 35 WPC into 8 Ohms and has a headphone jack. Power can be triggered from the AVC-2500 - it's mainly designed to be used as a Zone 2 amp. The only problem with that arrangement is you cannot use any digital sources for Zone 2. The DACs only drive the main zone.
    Hope that helps.
    - Bob

3. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

There is also the Musical Fidelity X-Can $269.00.[​IMG]

4. RichardMA

RichardMA Second Unit

You can also use an older receiver if you want.
    You run the preamp outputs (left/right) to the
    "main ins" on the receiver if it supports this.
    You then use the old receiver's volume control and
    headphone jack.

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I imagine that Radio Shack, mcmelectronics.com, and partsexpress.com may also have gizmos that do the same thing...

6. Larry Carlson

Thanks a lot, guys. I really appreciate the help. I didn't know that the ZAMP had a headphone jack. I looked at it on the Parasound website and that seems to be the perfect solution to my problem. Again, my thanks.

Larry