What's new

how can I cover those skinny door windows? (1 Viewer)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
any of you have those? next to my front door is a series of skinny windows from the floor all the way up to the top of the door, something like 8" wide.
I need to find a way to cover these, with a sheer or something because they look in directly at my equipment rack.

A custom sheer for a window that size at the online place I ordered the rest of my blinds from would be something like 50 bucks, I can't pay that for a bit of fabric 8" x 54"

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Philip,

I'm not sure how it's called in the US (or even if it's available at all, but I guess it is): you could cover the glass with a sort of plastic foil to make it look exactly like frosted glass. I suppose it's available at places where they sell construction materials. Can't be very expensive.

You may even want to cover it only to a certain height (make sure you cut the upper edges straight!)

Cees

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
A custom sheer...would be something like 50 bucks...
Does that include the hardware? Doesn't sound that out of line to me.
Anyway, do-it-yourself....a little plain curtain rod, top and bottom, with some fabric stretched between.

DavidMich

Stunt Coordinator
Go to home depot, they have the sheers ready made in any color, about $8. Then you buy two spring-loaded rods, about the width of the window, one for the top, one for the bottom, they are about $5 per pair.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I got the cheap sheers at Home Depot along with a couple of magnetic mini curtain rods that didn't even need installation or measuring. Very easy, very cheap, and handy when it comes time to wash the sheers.

Regards,

Joe

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Go to home depot, they have the sheers ready made in any color, about $8. Then you buy two spring-loaded rods, about the width of the window, one for the top, one for the bottom, they are about $5 per pair.
I asked the local HD about it when I was getting some miniblinds cut and they said they didn't have them :angry:
do you remember where in the store they were located?

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Philip, check out HD again, in the paint & decorating area. Last time I was there, they had a product that was basically a stick-on film, that resembled frosted glass. It's exactly for this sort of thing. (I was also looking for something to cover the side-light window next to my door...ended up having a custom blind made.)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Tony,

Great! That was the stuff I was referring to (post #2). I wasn't sure (until your post :) ) if it is available in the US, but I used it once myself here.
Inexpensive, effect is beautiful.

Cees

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
you could also install some mini-blinds from home depot. they'll custom-cut them to whatever width you need.

i did my girlfriend's old townhome - they were inexpensive, durable and easy to install.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
I think Brian just linked to the stuff that Cees and I are talking about. Not sure if that's the same brand... but it's the same idea. :)

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Winter/Christmas is almost here, go get you some snow-in-a-can and put it off til January. :D

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I got some tint, kind of spendy at about 30 bucks for everything but it looks OK and serves it's purpose, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks