What's new

How can I convert HDMI to RCA? (1 Viewer)

humanbeing

Auditioning
Real Name
Neal
I have an LG flatscreen with multiple HDMI and RCA audio inputs, but no audio outputs other than the optic out, which connects to a sound bar. My LG Bluray player has no audio outputs at all, other than through the HDMI. My Pioneer surround sound processor only has RCA inputs. I would like to be able to process the audio signal from the Blurry player and my Firestick through the surround sound some of the time and through the sound bar some of the time like I did with my last Bluray player. How do I do this?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Your best option would be to get a blu-ray player that has the connections you need. Aside from that, your only option is probably an HDMI audio extractor. I don’t know how well they work.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
While it would definitely be a more expensive option, I would actually recommend replacing the surround processor as it is currently the weakest link in your system. The coaxial [RCA] connectors on your current unit aren't capable of carrying lossless formats [Dolby True HD, DTS MA] which all but defeats the purpose of a Blu Ray player where audio is concerned.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
I agree with John Dirk. I'm unsure whether the Pioneer RCAs are audio or coaxial digital audio but, in both cases, a modern home theater receiver will provide an ARC HDMI audio connection. Check that your TV has an ARC HDMI port. While the TV's optical output could still be used with soundbar.

Artanis

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Just get a converter / switcher with remote. There's a few different ones on Amazon. Like this:

SkycropHD 4K@60Hz HDMI Switch Audio Extractor Converter, 3 Port HDMI Switcher with RCA Stereo & Optical SPDIF Audio Output, Support HDCP2.2, HDR10, Dolby Vision/Atmos, 18Gbps, ARC

Or this:

Tomsenn HDMI 1.4 Switch Switcher Box Selector 3 in 1 Out HDMI Audio Extractor Splitter with Optical SPDIF & RCA L/R Audio Out & Remote

Do these HDMI switches do a full decode of the 5.1 or 7.1 audio?

If only L&R are provided, how is the center channel handled?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Do these HDMI switches do a full decode of the 5.1 or 7.1 audio?

If only L&R are provided, how is the center channel handled?

The center channel would be provided by Dolby Pro Logic processing, which any surround sound processor made in the last 30 years has.

I don’t know that these devices will truly decode 5.1 or 7.1, which should be available via the coax or optical outputs. We had a similar unit for our Roku a while back that was supposed to convert HDMI to analog component video and digital 5.1 audio, again via coax or optical. I never saw a program that gave us 5.1, even from network shows we’d previously had in 5.1 from our TIVO with a broadcast antenna.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
The center channel would be provided by Dolby Pro Logic processing, which any surround sound processor made in the last 30 years has.

I don’t know that these devices will truly decode 5.1 or 7.1, which should be available via the coax or optical outputs. We had a similar unit for our Roku a while back that was supposed to convert HDMI to analog component video and digital 5.1 audio, again via coax or optical. I never saw a program that gave us 5.1, even from network shows we’d previously had in 5.1 from our TIVO with a broadcast antenna.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

After reading the specs for these units I discovered that all HDMI input devices have to be set to output PCM to produce L&R at the RCA outputs. These units are only useful if the TV lacks multiple HDMI inputs. Otherwise, if the TV can be set to output PCM (not all can) at the optical output a $20 digital to analog converter will do the trick.

I researched this myself in the past, most TVs do not include a headphone socket however if the TV optical (or coaxial) output can be set to PCM, a USB powered digital to analog converter and headphone amplifier (I use Fiio) will do the trick. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks