1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

How can I complete a one hour surfing session w/o IE5 crashing?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Alexander, Jan 8, 2002.

1. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

IE 5.0 shuts down and crashes once a day on my computer and it will not open web pages. I have to restart the computer just to resume normal web surfing. Any ideas what could be wrong? Can I reinstall IE to solve the problem? Thanks.

2. Darren Lewis

Darren Lewis Supporting Actor

What OS are you running?

Have you installed any new software that may be causing the problem?

Anything specific that causes IE to crash?

3. Kevin Alexander

Win98SE. I've had this prob forquite a while. Morpheus is the only recent new software.

4. Darren Lewis

Darren Lewis Supporting Actor

If the rest of Win98SE is OK and not crashing, perhaps try upgrading to one of the newer versions of IE. I'm using IE 6 on Win2000.
    If you want to download the full version of IE6 rather than via MS Update, have a look at this site.

5. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

This will disable some (maybe lots) of webpage functionality, but when I did it, IE stop crashing and I also stopped getting spammed(!).

Go to Tools>Internet Options. Choose the Security tab. Select the Internet zone and hit "Custom Level". Find "Scripting>Active Scripting" and set to "Disable" or "Prompt".

I think there is either a lot of script that is poorly written and/or IE can't handle some of it very well.

Your mileage may vary.

-Dave

6. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

Download Opera. [​IMG]

7. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

...or install the latest version of IE.

-Dave

8. Romier S

Romier S Producer

You may also want to try and run the IE repair tool. If you are using the version of IE that is automatically installed with the OS this will not be available in the add/remove progrmas but there is a command you can run to initialize the repair process. I will do some digging and see if I can find the exact command (cant remeber it off the top of my head[​IMG]).
    If you have upgraded IE in the past you cango to add/remove programs and highlight IE, click on add/remove and select repair. That can at times fix some of these issues.

9. Mike St.Louis

Mike St.Louis Supporting Actor

I would recommend to anyone that has the horsepower to run Windows 2000 or XP. It is extremely stable and even programs that crash will not shut down the OS.

I still get the odd IE crash but very infrequently - say once or twice a month. And I use IE almost constantly.

I could never go back to Windows 9x. If your system is powerful enough then I encourage you to upgrade.

10. Oscar W

Oscar W Stunt Coordinator

11. Hugh M

Hugh M Second Unit

I'll second the XP upgrade...when I was running ME I was afraid that all windows would be like that.(I ran DOS, 3.1, 95, 98, 98SE before that too)
    sadly it doesn't install in the best default way, so it is good to do some tweaking here and there after you install it.
    www.xp-erience.org is a great site for that.

12. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Second the suggestion to try another browser. IE has a nasty habit of bringing the entire OS with it when it crashes, aside from being slow, unwieldy and not very keyboard-usage friendly.
    http://www.opera.com
    Won't display 100% of all pages properly but it's fast and power-user-friendly - and when it crashes it will remember what pages you had open and give you the option to load them again when it starts up...

13. Kevin Alexander

Thanks for all the suggestions. You guys are great. I'll give Opera a try and get back to you all.

14. Kimmo Jaskari

Make sure to check out the help file and maybe the Opera website for info on what you can do with keyboard shortcuts etc. Much of the functionality doesn't up and slap you in the face at first but once you discover it you love it.

Mouse gestures, for example, is one such thing.

15. Chad Ellinger

Chad Ellinger Second Unit

You might want to check out a little freeware program called Ad-Aware by Lavasoft. The program scans your computer for spyware and gives the option to remove it. Spyware can often attach itself to IE and cause frequent crashes. My girlfriend had this problem with her computer and Ad-Aware fixed it.

16. DmitriP

DmitriP Extra

I would recommend to anyone that has the horsepower to run Windows 2000 or XP.
    Not only big brother, but everyone else on the internet is spying on you with XP..
    Win2k and XP have pretty high system requirements.. Not really needed for the home user.
    Hell I've still got '98 on the laptop, NT4 at work and BSD at home. Couldn't be happier, never crashes.
    You guys DL too much crap..

17. Kevin Alexander

Thanks for the Opera recommendation. I've been using it for a little over 3 weeks now and it's great. My only problem is that Opera won't allow me to read spoiler tags. Is there some adjustment that I can make to view spoiler tags?

18. Mike St.Louis

Mike St.Louis Supporting Actor

19. Hugh M

Hugh M Second Unit

while we're on microsoft's back, I'll include this quote from one of my other posts.

20. Kimmo Jaskari

The spoiler tag thing with Opera can be worked around by using the user specific formatting feature. Hit CTRL-G and you will override the formatting used to get the black-on-black text and be able to read it. CTRL-G again will toggle back to the default setting.

There is also a small icon on the address input line, looks like a document with the upper corner folded down on my version of Opera. CTRL-G is much faster though.