How can bulbs possibly cost so much?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sacha_C, Jan 30, 2003.

1. Sacha_C

Sacha_C Second Unit

How can projector bulbs possibly cost as much as $400-600 especially for a 1000-2000 hours life?

I would think a normal $10 halogen bulb would be bright enough to project an image no?

Thanks

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    If I had a spare projector, I might actually like to see what happens if I were to use a 200W halogen bulb as the light source.

3. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Well, if you could sell 1 million of them, then maybe the cost would be $10.

Regards

4. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Screenwriter

Also let's not forget that projector were originally sold to businesses and schools. They were not considered consumer goods so the pricing was different. This should change as pjs get more common.

5. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

I am currently looking at projectors to replace my 32 inch tv
    it is probably a combination of both quantity made and that fact that every manufacturer has to have a different bulb so that you have to buy it from them so they can price it however they want
    as soon as the aftermarket comes out with a cheaper replacement bulb, the company releases its "new-improved" model which naturally takes yet another bulb

remember, companies are in business to make a profit and they will do it anyway they can, you would do the same if you owned the company

6. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

No, I would use as many standard components as I could. And I'd ballyhoo the hell out of the fact that my projector used a $10 bulb instead of a $300 one!

Jan