How can a current Directv subscriber take advanatge of free installation deals?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob Graham, Jul 28, 2001.

1. Bob Graham

Bob Graham Supporting Actor

Bob Graham
    I currently subscribe to Directv and want to have 2 more rooms wired in my home. There are many deals for free installation and cheap receivers, but they are for the most part limited to new subscribers.
    I have heard that I could cancel my service and re-up under a different name (I'm thinking about putting the service under my dog's name). Has anyone had any experience doing this? How long do I have to be disconnected? What are the ins and outs of the deals?

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    You can't do it at the same address. They have the serial number and smart card number from your receiver(s). If you pay with a credit card, they have that also. It will raise some red flags at D*.
    It's not that hard to run new coax for extra receivers. You want at least three receivers now, so that means you need a multi-switch. If you have an 18"x24" eliptical dish, you already have the switch. If you have an attic or crawl space, it's real easy to drill through the top plate and drop new cable. If it's not that easy, explain your situation and someone will help you.
    -Robert

3. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

The 'free installation' that you're seeing usually only includes the dish and one receiver. Even if you did somehow 'trick' them into doing it, you'd still have to pay to have the other receivers hooked up.

4. BlaineJ

BlaineJ Extra

I'll second Robert_J's sentiments. It's really fairly easy to drop a new coax line. I just did it a few weeks ago (ran two coax lines (one input, one output), 4 speaker wires and a phone line down a wall.
    Besides, from everything I've heard about these free installation deals, you could probably do a better job than the professional installer anyway.
    ------------------
    My Home Theater

5. Bob Graham

Bob Graham Supporting Actor

Bob Graham
    I guess I need to describe my sitaution a little more. I'm thinking about getting an RCA F38310 HDTV with built in DirecTV receiver. I would want to have the eliptical dish installed, so this would qualify as a new installation, not just a matter of dropping coaxes (coaxi?). I was thinking of using one of 2 receiver deals to get 2 rooms wired and then to have the 2 remaining rooms re-wired (I don't have TVs in all the rooms, but thought what the hell, I might as well get the house wired all at once). I know I'm going to have to pay something, but I wanted pay as little as possible. Any suggestions?
    ps. any recommendations for a website that can give me how-to instructions for dropping cable between walls?
    Thanks again for your help!

6. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Dropping cables is very easy in a single story house.
    1. Find the spot that you want a new cable outlet. Interior wall (no insulation) is better than an exterior wall (insulation). Try not to choose a spot that will have an electical wire, gas line or water line in the same area. Check the room on the other side of the wall to make sure.
    2. Get in the attic and find the same spot on the top plate. Drill at least a 1/2" hole through the plate. It may be two boards thick so make sure the bit is long enough.
    3. Feed the cable into the wall. I usually tape the cable to a piece of stiff wire so it will go straight down the wall. The wire is in the ceiling tile section at Home Depot. It's about 10 feet long and costs less than $5.
    4. When you are sure that the wire has made it to the bottom of the wall, cut a square hole in the wall. This is for the J-box (I think that's what they are called) and the wall plate.
    5. I get my boxes and wall plates from Home Depot. The boxes are a bright blue with a screw at the top and bottom. Tighten the screw and a "wing" pops up and secures the box on the back side of the wall board.
    6. Cut the cable to length. Strip the end. Crimp on a F-connector. Install the J-box and cover.
    Multi-story houses are more difficult but not impossible.
    -Robert