How bout this deal on a 57" Sony?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JaredBing, Feb 27, 2003.

1. JaredBing

JaredBing Auditioning

I was looking to buy a RPTV in the next 3 months for a new basement family room that's not quite finished. We were at the local RC Willey outlet store (where they have items that are discounted because they're returned or damaged) today and they had a Sony KP57WS500 marked at $1999, (local Circuit City price $2499) and they'll knock off another 10% if you "buy it today." (I guess that means not put it on layaway or credit or whatever, I assume it'll still be there tomorrow or until somebody buys it).

I've been researching TVs, have never owned a big one, but have been impressed by most of what I've read about this line of TVs. The one downside I've seen is that it doesn't support 720p (downconverts to 480p apparently). I would use the TV mainly at first for DVD viewing, with HDTV maybe added later (currently all we watch is plain old network TV pulled out of the air by an antenna). I don't know much about HDTV broadcasters in my area (Utah) and have no idea whether they would broadcast in 720p. Are there other potential things I might want to hook up someday that would use 720p, and would it be a big deal not to have it?

The TV in question is apparently there because it has cracks in the silver plastic casing at the lower left and right corners of the screen, not involving the screen surface at all. These are not noticable from more than a few feet away and wouldn't bug me. The TV was turned on in the store and the picture looked crisp to my untrained eye. It still has the manufacturer's warranty and a 5 year warranty is offered for $200 extra.

I thought about grabbing this TV and using the 10% off savings to buy the extended warranty. My wife wants to wait a few months until we have some other stuff (like carpet) paid for. Affording it now is a stretch but might be worth it for the opportunity to get this price.

Would you jump on this deal?

2. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    I wouldn't pay $1999 for an open box $2499 television if it looked perfect, much less if it had visible damage. There's no telling what that set has been thru. It very easily could have been a floor model running 12 hours per day 7 days per week over the last six months. That kind of wear and tear would knock years off of the life of the unit.

3. Gilbert ^P

Gilbert ^P Stunt Coordinator

i say like 17-1800 and if they can prove when the set was purchased by the previous customer and when it was returned. than i would consider it.

4. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I bought my 32xbr450 from the sony outlet store for $1049; CC had it on sale at the same time for $2k.
    By that token, you should offer them $1200