how bout them dells?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by andre-k, Jun 2, 2003.

1. andre-k

andre-k Agent

Anybody have any comments on the dell home computers? Are they any good? I know many people prefer to build computers, but I dont want to have to worry about it breaking down. My roomate builds computers and his seems to always have a problem with his.

2. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

I am on my third Dell desktop, the first one, a Pentium 200 MMX, is still running and it's about 7 years old. Go look at the deals in the Deals section here in the forum, I know some will disagree, but unless one has some unique reqiurements, I simply don't see how can anybody beat their price, EVEN if you build your own. One caution, Dell USED to be number one in customer service/support, year in and year out, from what I've heard through other Dell users, this is hardly the case anymore

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

My last and only experience with Dell cust service was a nightmare. So many tranfers, put on holds, clueless reps with trouble in their English, repeat...

However you can't seem to beat the price with those stackable coupons, and they are very quiet. If you want a basic PC and don't have the desire (or just don't need) to DIY and customize, Dell is the way to go.

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I built machines for years. Other than my HTPC, I haven't built a machine since I started buying dells. Great machines, SILLY prices, warranties, etc.

No reason to do anything else as far as I can see.

-vince

5. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

I have 3 Dells--two desktops and a laptop--and wouldn't consider anything else. Their prices are very, very good. I can't speak to their service because I've never required it (which, in some ways, speaks for it anyway).

6. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I was the first one at work to get a Dell, and since then, the whole company has upgraded to Dells. They are great machines. No real problems with any. I've also got one at home and it's been great as well.

7. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

8. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I don't know where you're buying from, but I can't even touch the performance/$ ratio of dell building myself- not even close. I bought a P4 2g/30gig hd/128megs DDR/LAN/Modem/Decent VideoCard for like $329 from Dell- I couldn't have built the same system for under $500, even doing the most shady dealers or going with the cheapest prices on pricewatch.

-Vince

9. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

10. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I find taht if you buy from dell SB (small business)- they usually send you a card in the mail about 90 days after purchase offering a cheap upgrade of service plans. You buy the PC with 1 year tech support, and then can upgrade to on site next-day service for an affordable price. I've done it for my machines, and have never had to deal with 'tech support" rather gotten a service tech on site to fix the problem (although I have never had problems I can't solve myself- and can get the tech people to just get the parts for me).

-Vince

11. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Dell are offering incredible deals right now on solid, reliable, easily upgradable machines. I've always been a "build it myself" kind of guy, and I bought a Dell machine last month - my first ever "off the shelf" computer for myself.

Couldn't be happier with it. Four friends (all of whom built their own previous) got in on the same deal & are happy.

Keep an eye out on the HTF "deals" page (which is a gotapex link that HTF gets a kickback for), and see what comes up. You got to keep an eye on the Small Business site too, not the "home consumer" section - that's where the bargains are.

12. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

>>I myself still prefer to build my own because I know exactly what is going into the machine

13. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I priced out a new intel springdale based MSI mb machine, 2.4Ghz hyperthreaded 800Mhz fsb processor, 1GB memory 240GB HD for just under a grand if I were to build it myself (add $100 or so for case/power supply, and that doesn't include video card so add $200 for that). If I have dell do it I don't get to choose what mb brand I get, I don't get to choose what brand of memory I get (and dell's memory is about 2x as much as everyone else), I rarely get to choose what kind of HD, and I don't get to choose how large of a power supply. There are pluses and minuses to building or buying prebuilt. But I happen to enjoy finding the parts and having complete control over everything instead of just a few choices. Dell may win out on price (sometimes) but I still prefer to build my own.

14. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

15. Dennis Heller

Dennis Heller Second Unit

I'm shopping for a new notebook, and have pretty much narrowed it down to Dell. In the Small Business section, the way I figured it is any savings on the computer is made up in sales tax, which I don't have to pay in the consumer section. Am I doing something wrong or is my math faulty?

16. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

I'm on the horns of this dilemma as well. I looked at the Dell deal yesterday but it looks like the motherboard doesn't have an AGP port (the audio and video are integrated on the motherboard). This speaks to the only problem I have with Dell (and I am using one now)--they can be tricky to upgrade. I recently upgraded my Dell at home as best I could, but the motherboard had only a 66mhz FSB so the best I could do was go from 500mhz to 733. I also had one of those molded cases that prevented me from adding a CDRW drive (I ended up replacing the CD-ROM with an RW instead). In addition I have come across limited IDE controllers and non-standard connectors on the power supplies. All of these factors make upgrading a Dell a challenge, whereas with a home-built PC it's easy enough to plan for the future and swap in new parts as need and budget dictate.

But for $500, man that price is just untouchable. That's the hook, I guess. Spend $500 on a computer that will last you two to four years easy, and then instead of upgrading here and there you can just buy a completely new system when yours gets obsolete. Tough on the old landfills, but easy on the wallet and it couldn't be simpler to do.

It's a tough call. Upgradeability and name brand parts versus an untouchable price, a warranty, and tech support. Hmmm...

17. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    ive had three dell computers, and ive had almost no problems with any of them. the company i used to work for has had probably about 20 or 30 in the course of a couple years, and very few problems. ive built my computers for a couple years now, but i still have a dell dimension P3 500 mhz that we still use as a fileserver, still runs well.

CJ

18. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

I work for a company that makes PCs among other hardware. I could not get one of our PC's at employee prices cheaper than I got from Dell [​IMG]

I've had my Dimension 8250 since last December and love it! [​IMG]

19. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

20. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

Mike:
    I think that's how all P.C.'s are built today. You get a machine made of the cheapest parts that could be found. They then apply a BIOS that has their name embedded in it, load Windows and whatever other software. Put their name on the outside and charge whatever the market will bear.
    The company that can swing the best deals with suppliers and keeps their overhead the lowest makes money at the P.C. biz.
    The company I work for is famous for it's high overhead [​IMG]