What's new

How bout The Big Clock (1948) and No Way Out (1987) in a Blu dual package (1 Viewer)

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Brad here. After reading the reviews for The Big Clock (1948) and the remake No Way Out (1987) I would love to see these two on Blu together in a dual package.
And you know, why is it we don't see more of these "remake double features"? Would also love to see the original The Blue Lagoon (1949) and Brooke Shields The Blue Lagoon (1980) in a double feature.

=============================================

The Big Clock (1948): From Wiki:
The Big Clock is a 1948 film noir thriller directed by John Farrow, and adapted by renowned novelist-screenwriter Jonathan Latimer from the novel of the same name by Kenneth Fearing.
The black-and-white film is set in New York City and stars Ray Milland and Maureen O'Sullivan. Elsa Lanchester and Charles Laughton appear in the film, as does Harry Morgan, in an early film role, as a hired thug. Noel Neill has an uncredited part as an elevator operator very early in the film.[1]

The story is told in flashback. When it begins, George Stroud (Ray Milland), editor-in-chief of Crimeways magazine, is shown hiding from building security behind the "big clock" ― the largest and most sophisticated clock ever built, which dominates the lobby of the giant publishing company where he works, Janoth Publications in New York City.
Stroud is eager to spend more time with his wife (Maureen O'Sullivan) and plans a long-postponed vacation from his job. He sticks to those plans despite being fired for it by his tyrannical publishing boss, Earl Janoth (Charles Laughton). Instead of meeting his wife at the train station as planned, however, Stroud finds himself preoccupied with the attention being shown him by Janoth's glamorous mistress, Pauline York (Rita Johnson), who proposes a blackmail plan against Janoth. When Stroud misses their scheduled train, his wife angrily leaves without him, so he begins drinking and spends the evening out on the town with York.
Later that night, Janoth spots a man leaving York's apartment, but does not get a clear enough look at him to see that it is Stroud. Although Stroud's evening with York had ended platonically, Janoth assumes otherwise, leading to a quarrel which ends when he murders her. Janoth determines to locate the man he had seen leaving the apartment and then frame that man for the crime. Ironically, Janoth re-hires Stroud to lead the effort to find the man.

No Way Out (1987): From Brad: Oh my was Sean Young ever smokin hot in this film. And the plot just mesmerized you to the surprising ending.
Have the DVD. Definitely would like a Blu.

From IMDB: Tom Farrell is a navy officer who gets posted at the Pentagon and is to report to the secretary of defense David Brice. He starts an affair with Susan Atwell not knowing that she is Brice's mistress. When Susan is found dead, Tom is assigned to the case of finding the killer who is believed to be a KGB mole! Tom could soon become a suspect when a Polaroid negative of him was found at Susan's place. He now has only a few hours to find the killer before the computer regenerates the photo.

From Wiki: The film is a remake of 1948's The Big Clock; both films are based on Kenneth Fearing's 1946 novel The Big Clock. Filming locations included Baltimore, Annapolis, Arlington, Washington, D.C., and Auckland, New Zealand. The film features original music by the Academy Award-winning Maurice Jarre.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Big Clock is a Universal property while No Way Out would be a MGM/Fox release.

Next!

Jacksmyname

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Walder
Agreed, Brad. I have The Big Clock on DVD. I'm a big fan of Ray Milland, and it's a great film.
I also like No Way Out a lot. I'd be in for a double feature package in a heartbeat.
I'd also grab both as singles.
Edit: Well, Robert just told us no double feature, so singles it is (or is it singles they are?)

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Robert Crawford said:
The Big Clock is a Universal property while No Way Out would be a MGM/Fox release.

Next!
Indeed.
(Not to mention, remake comparisons would only point out the loopy madeup-crap "twist" ending the studio had to paste onto No Way Out out of the clear blue sky, just for an audience kicker.)

Usually, the only time they can do "double features" is when the original was public-domain--Like Universal including the original "Charade" with "The Truth About Charlie", or Warner including "Mystery of the Wax Museum" with "House of Wax 3D".

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Ejanss said:
Usually, the only time they can do "double features" is when the original was public-domain--Like Universal including the original "Charade" with "The Truth About Charlie", or Warner including "Mystery of the Wax Museum" with "House of Wax 3D".
Warner Bros. originally released MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM and I believe still holds the copyright on it. Yes, CHARADE is in the public domain due to a snafu on the title card with the copyright (it's missing the copyright "c" logo). But, Mancini's score is copyrighted and Universal still controls the best elements for the film; anyone basing a DVD or Blu-ray off of either the Universal or Criterion discs would be opening themselves up to a lawsuit.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
How about THE BIG CLOCK, MINISTRY OF FEAR and THE DARK MIRROR as a triple feature blu-ray set? You can get it today for EUR 34.99 from Germany at Amazon.de. Another good reason for investing in a multi-region blu-ray player. Plus, German blu-rays never have forced subs.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Just announced on @Brandon Conway Pre90s thread.

The Big Clock (1948) coming to Blu-ray on May 12, 2019 from Arrow.
Thank you very much for the information! i just pre-ordered it on Amazon. I have been waiting and waiting for this to come out on blu. May cannot come soon enough!

172c1fbfe4215aee686025807ce80782.jpg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Giving this one a kick upstairs due to today’s Blu-ray release of The Big Clock (1948).

Both films now available on Blu.
I have the BD of "No Way Out" and a word of caution is that it's Region B locked. I suspect some boutique company will release it in Region A in the near future.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks