How bout SACD/DVD-A in my car??

Discussion in 'Music' started by Chris Tedesco, Feb 21, 2004.

1. Chris Tedesco

Chris Tedesco Second Unit

So I've been listening to my Sea Change tonight for about an hour and I was thinking, wouldn't this be great in my car?

Sure it's not the same and I probably couldn't listen to it in 5.1 unless I added a center (similiar to the new Acura TL).

But the improved sound quality would be refreshing.

So I've been doing a search for SACD/DVD-A car stereos and practically came up zilch.

I spend a lot o time in my car and it's weird that I haven't heard too much about this. The new Acura is a great step in the right direction, but I thought new Head Units would be on their way.....right now that's not the case.

Hope this is something we can look forward to in the very near future.
    [​IMG]

2. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Mike Mettler on S&V and Car Audio mags praise the surround sound in cars,but as you I've yet to see a SACD player for cars and only a couple of DVD-A players on the market which primarelly plays [naturally] DVD-V discs.
    Few years ago DTS was talking about how they working on the idea of car surround sound,but I haven't heard anything new on that either.

3. Michael St. Clair

The easier/cheaper way to get surround going in the car is via a DVD-Video head unit. They can do phantom center, too, which will be best for many/most cars that didn't have a dash designed to accomodate a center.

Yeah, I know that the playback would be lossy and not high-res.

4. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

See High Fidelity Review for an article on Philips and Harman Kardon currently developing SACD auto units. We should see the units in 6 months or so.

The Acura TL has, as you mentioned, a nice sounding DVDA player designed by Elliott Scheiner the highly regarded recording engineer. It sounds excellent to my ears. [​IMG]

5. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

I'm considering purchasing an Acura TL just so I can have a DVDA system in a nice car.[​IMG]

That's me, more concerned with the tunes than what kind of car I have (currently have a Camry with a very good sound system).

6. MarkRose

MarkRose Extra

I have an Acura 3.2 TL type S, which is what the new TL replaced. I love the car. A friend who had the same car as me just upgraded to the new TL. The car itself is awesome; powerful, smooth, and luxurious. The sound system is in 1 word, incredible. Listened to DVD-A in 5.1 and in high res stereo. Wow!!! In addition XM radio is standard equipment and comes with 3 mos. subscription free. Sounds CD quality. Can't wait till my lease runs out in a few months to get the TL.

7. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Right,but I was talking about "after market" head units that anyone can buy for their own car,and not the other way around.The current Crutchfield mag has 0 units that specifically mentiones DVD-A as a playable format.
    We'll see about those SACD in the future,but I won't hold my breath,but feel free to do so in your case. [​IMG]

8. KrisM

KrisM Second Unit

Shouldn't this be in the Car Audio/Video section?
    For the record I would welcome a player that does SACD for my truck as hybrids don't work well on my player.

Regards
    KrisM

9. Chris Tedesco

Chris Tedesco Second Unit

Eh? Yeah probably, but there doesn't seem to be that much traffic on that forum, plus this is kinda a gray area since we are talking abot music to some degree. [​IMG]

Anyway, I would love to see some after market Head Units that support DVD-A, even if I don't have the 5.1 set up currently, I would be happy

10. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Whoever starts selling a surround car deck, whether its sacd or dvd-audio, it had better come with a phantom center option. Because if the manufacturers think everyone is going to casually accept a center speaker perched on their dashboard like some giant pimple they are crazy. And this is even if the vehicle's dash DOES have an area available 1) actually in the center of the dash and 2) large enough for a decent center (I figure a heavily-built/long excursion 3" coaxial design is the minimum for center duty).

This is why I keep bringing up DTS-CDs and the Dolby/DTS tracks of dvd-audios as being a perfect fit for mobile surround use: we already have circuitry available for these formats to generate phantom centers. And they have the ability to eliminate the need for a separate subwoofer--not everyone will enjoy seeing a box sitting on their rear floor or having their rear deck cut into to install a sub driver (again, if this is possible at all).

LJ