How bout an HK AVR 120 for a JBL setup on a budget ... thoughts?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Hammerly, Sep 24, 2002.

1. Jason Hammerly

Jason Hammerly Supporting Actor

I was considering upgrading to the AVR 120 and am wondering if anyone hs any experience with it with JBL speakers. Specifically I'll be running N38's for the mains and the N-cneter (both 90db efficiency) and N24's as surrounds. What do you think? I'm upgrading so I can get DPL 2 and am trying to keep the upgrade under $250 and still get a quality unit. I don't care about the lack of preamp outputs and OSD. Thanks.

2. Jason Hammerly

anyone?

3. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

I just set my mom up with the HK125 and the NSP1 set (N24's) all around. It sounds absolutely amazing for the price. I can't believe the entry level HK sounds so good. I can't imagine the 520. I really like that receiver. Her set-up sounds better than my HT setup and I am running the S38's and S-center BUT with a DE Sony 5.1 receiver. So that just tells you what a difference the receiver makes! I so go for it- no doubt- but maybe you should hunt for the newer 125...? G'luck

4. Jason Hammerly

I'm kind of thinking about the 320, but it is twice the price. Still, $400 for the 320 would be pretty fair it seems for the upgradeability it would give me. I just don't know.

5. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Jason,
    To stretch your harmon kardon dollar, the refurb part of their store is a good place to check:
    http://www.harmanaudio.com/
    Save some money and still get the full warranty.