What's new

How bout a Blu for The Black Hole (1979) (1 Viewer)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I have heard early reports that the Blu-Ray discs have screwed up things so that the Overture does not play when you play the disc. That it's been authored improperly. Disney had better fix it, or I don't buy it.

UPDATE-Sorry, didn't see this being discussed in the other thread.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Well folks, the Blu-ray release of TBH is out on the market and of course the Blu-ray has some quirks & problems which have been duly noted in the DMC thread. The two biggest problems being discussed are (to refresh ones memory) are:

1. Overture not in correct place and almost inaccessible.

2. No restoration work performed.

It has been noted that DMC may be issuing a recall and a possible disc swap for a overture corrected (and hopefully some restoration work) disc.

I did break open my Blu-ray and put it up on the 75”. When comparing the Blu-ray to the Vudu version, my initial take is that in a number of scenes, the Blu-ray looks a tick or two sharper in PQ but in some scenes, the lack of sharpness is glaringly apparent (most notably the dinner on the Cygnus scenes). Is this just laziness or are there no better elements available to get a transfer from? I don’t know at this point.

I’m glad to have this film on Blu and I’ll be even happier when the corrected disc is issued and exchanged.

Godspeed.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
...When comparing the Blu-ray to the Vudu version, my initial take is that in a number of scenes, the Blu-ray looks a tick or two sharper in PQ but in some scenes, the lack of sharpness is glaringly apparent (most notably the dinner on the Cygnus scenes). Is this just laziness or are there no better elements available to get a transfer from?
The softer shots are all opticals. The only way to improve them would be to go back and recomposite the effects shots, but that's never going to happen. It may not even be possible - who knows if the individual elements even exist anymore.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
What he said.

This film has never looked sharp due to the massive number of opticals. The Blu-ray is an accurate representation of the film’s look.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I watched it a week or so ago. Watched it at night and in a pitch black room. Brought back some wonderful memories. The black hole itself is a beautiful swirling mass of rainbow sherbet. I was always fascinated by it swirling in the background of many of the early shots including the dinner sequence. Always there and menacing. The star fields are extremely well done too, I honestly don’t think there are many films out there dealing with space that is as beautiful as this one. Disney really didn’t hold back on the visuals.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
The softer shots are all opticals. The only way to improve them would be to go back and recomposite the effects shots, but that's never going to happen. It may not even be possible - who knows if the individual elements even exist anymore.

I’m sure by now there’s a digital fix if they can replace Kevin Spacey with Christopher Plummer at the last minute. When Card Walker was CEO of Disney, they seemed to let a lot more things slide in this regard than Walt, but it seems as though Disney today would rather just play the ball where it lies. How ironic that this is available in its original form but not any of the original Star Wars trilogy.

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Per thedigitalbits.com, Disney Movie Club just announced a fix for the overture problem on The Black Hole Blu-ray.

New discs should be available starting October 14th.
That could explain why my enrollment shipment from a month or so ago is still "pending" as that's one of the titles I ordered. I was hoping that was the case but just haven't bothered asking as I'm not in a hurry to get the titles.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Any idea how we go about getting replacement discs for those of us who already bought it?

If anyone has info on this, please post here.
That digitalbits article linked says this:
And if you’re a Club member and you ordered the disc (and got a bad copy) you’ll be able to request a replacement from their customer service. Just FYI.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Any idea how we go about getting replacement discs for those of us who already bought it?

If anyone has info on this, please post here.
I just called Customer Service and the cast member setup to send me a pre-paid mailer to send back my copy, and then they will send a new copy out. She also gave me the date of October 14th availability. Glad to see they are taking care of this issue.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
There have been conflicting answer on how to get the replacement. Several people have been told if they ordered it earlier they would automatically get the new items (would be nice, but I doubted they'd do that since so many people don't know or care), another couple of people have said purchasers would be able to request a replacement, this is the first I've heard of someone being requested to mail the original back. For many reason returning the older item would make sense esp if they're going to send out full new items (case./art/Disc) and not just mail a disc.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
There have been conflicting answer on how to get the replacement. Several people have been told if they ordered it earlier they would automatically get the new items (would be nice, but I doubted they'd do that since so many people don't know or care), another couple of people have said purchasers would be able to request a replacement, this is the first I've heard of someone being requested to mail the original back. For many reason returning the older item would make sense esp if they're going to send out full new items (case./art/Disc) and not just mail a disc.
Keep in mind that since DMC is a members only club and only members can purchase from DMC, they can easily ascertain which members purchased TBH and easily mail out replacement discs automatically iron request.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks