What's new

How big will 2002 be? (1 Viewer)

Shad R

Supporting Actor
Austin Powers 3, Star Wars EP 2, maybe spiderman and mib2, those are the only movies I'm interested in seeing.

Austin Powers 3 will rake in the dough, no doubt. After great word of mouth on the second one, and huge rentals/sales on vhs and dvd, 3 will be huge.

Hubert

Second Unit
If Lucas has sense, he will put AOTC on 3,500 screens and watch the money flow in.
Agreed. However, if AOTC beats TPM, there's nothing that's going to catch it. Not Chamber of Secrets, nothing. It's possible AOTC might fall short of TPM. Only because ESB fell short of Star Wars. Maybe that has nothing to do with it. I think Harry Potter will bring in another 300-350 million. I don't see it doing more. But it's possible. AOTC is going to depend on how good it is(and I expect it to be very good, and much better than TPM). Plus, how many screens it opens on. LOTR and TTT, I have absolutely no idea. I'm predicting 250-275 million tops for FOTR. So for TTT, I have no freaking clue. Like you said, we'll have to wait to see how FOTR does.

The one that I think might catch and surpass Titanic is Episode III. Everyone knows what happens, and everyone, will want to see it happen. Well, most everyone. If George makes it awesome, it could beat Titanic. Whatever the case, it's going to be unbelievably dark.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
"Terminator 3" was pushed to 2003. The bottom fell out of "Basic Insticnt 2" when they failed to find a suitable lead for the movie to play opposite Sharon Stone. There still is a chance that we'll see the "Catwoman" movie (starring Ashley Judd) by the end of 2002, but the script is said to be still being "reworked".

There's also Quentin Tarantino's return to the director's chair with "Kill Bill", which is also set for a 2002 release.

In the next few months we'll be hearing about a whole host of films going into production that will hope to make fall 2002 releases. Especially the "Oscar-hype" flicks.

Brad_W

Screenwriter
There's also Quentin Tarantino's return to the director's chair with "Kill Bill", which is also set for a 2002 release.
I thought he was working on The Vega Brothers because there was this whole thing about John Travolta trying to make another "Tarentino Comeback."

Luke Bowers

Auditioning
I was thinking about the box office for The Two Towers. Since the Fellowship of the Rings ends with a cliffhanger do you think people that held out and waited to see it on video would opt to go see The Two Towers in the theater since they wouldnt want to wait till it came out on video to see what happens? I would think this is possible since the rental and video sales market reaches more people than the theater. This could increase the audience for The Two Towers compared to the first even if The Fellowship of the Rings doesnt do spectacular business. Someone please correct me if I just sounded like an idiot there.

Luke Bowers

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Tarantino will begin work on "The Vega Brothers" after he finishes "Kill Bill".

As for the LOTR films, I think it's a safe assumption that the movies will be successful. The only question is just how successful will they be? Will the first movie be a $100 million hit? A $150 million hit? Or a $200 million-plus mega-hit?

With the trilogy costing $330 million ($110 mil per movie), each film will have to earn at least $250 million worldwide to turn a profit.

L. Anton Dencklau

Second Unit
I think we are underestimating both Lilo & Stitch and Ice Age. I don't know that they're going to be giantic hits or anything, but I think they will both do well.
I like the Star Wars movies. But its OK with me if they don't hold every known box office record. Others disagree.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
I, for one, cannot wait until Ice Age comes out! I saw a trailer for it earlier this year and it had me nearly crying I was laughing so hard.
I am extremely pumped about Spiderman! That movie looks awesome!
Some other movies I can't wait to see are X-men 2, Jason X, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Men in Black II, James Bond 20, Austin Powers: Goldmember, and Stuart Little 2.
Damn, I'd better start saving some money!!!

Hubert

Second Unit
I like the Star Wars movies. But its OK with me if they don't hold every known box office record.
Trust me! They don't hold every box office record. In fact, very few of them. Ice Age does look interesting. There are too many movies I'm interested in to list. I'll probably see everything on that list........well most everything.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
"Ice Age" looks like it's going to be the animated hit that Fox needs to launch themselves into the realm of Disney and DreamWorks.

ace peterson

Second Unit
I personally think Spiderman will bomb.

I think Ice Age can do well if it has all that pre-release marketing stuff (i.e. McDonald's.)

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
"True Lies 2" won't hit screens until 2003 at the absolute earliest. Arnold Schwartzenegger is doing "Terminator 3" first, then he'll do "True Lies 2" sometime later. James Cameron is writing and producing, but it's unclear as to whether or not he'll be directing it.

ace peterson

Second Unit
Terry-

I just have a gut feeling it will. It seems like we have all seen this movie already, just in some other disguise (Batman, Superman, etc). We've been there and done that. I think it may have a decent opening weekend, perhaps opening with $40-50 million, but I bet it barely gets to $120 million. With all the other fantastic movies out in 2002, this will just be overshadowed. Just my thoughts...

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
You might be right. I do think the movie will open really big, but the bottom could fall out the next weekend, ala "Godzilla". I'm not as excited about this movie as I thought I would be. I'm actually more excited for "Minority Report" and "Men in Black II". Still, I do hope that Sam Raimi delivers a good movie.

Richard_D_Ramirez

Second Unit
Let's not forget that a certain "clone" movie is being released that same month... I personally think the insect will be squished...

8^B

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
"Spider-Man" opens two weeks before the certain Clone movie, so it'll likely make most of it's money during that period of time. From published reports, Sony is VERY confident that the movie will be among the top 3 hits of next summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks