What's new

How big of a sub for this room, and which specific ones? (1 Viewer)

Trevin Chow

Stunt Coordinator
I have a room that is 20x14x8, but has an adjoining kitchen and hallway that makes the effective area a bit larger than that.

How big of a sub should I be looking atg for this room? Was going to look at getting the SVS 25-31Pci, but it's cynlindrical shape and height may create a problem for my wife. So i may have to find a boxier sub that is shorter, perhaps to also double as a side table. My wife could even sew a cover on it to dress it up a bit. she can't really do much with the SVS cylinder :)

I konw the SVS 25-31 PCi sub is highly recommended, but want to make sure its appropriate for my room size. Assuming this sub cannot be used because of shape/size, what other optiosn are there in the same price range? (no more than $600, prefer

Trevin Chow

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for suggestions Mike.

The Stryke MiniThunder is interesting unit. Most of their site is broken, but in their forums they have an announcement about the MiniThunder.

What they seem to imply is they are willing to customize the sub in certain ways to help accommodate people's installations. One attractive aspect of this is perhaps I can get a subwoofer in a veneer that matches by living room furniture and use it as an end table on my couch. this would definitely increase the WAF.

Can you use a sub as an end table to have a lamp and drinking glasses on it? Or would that stuff just get rocked to death by the sub?

I'm still wondering whether or not it is a good idea to put a sub directly behind my sony 50" GWIII LCD RPTV (my TV is in the corner, so sub would be perfectly hidden). The sub would be within 3-4" of the TV.

Every forum i've asked in says that it will be okay, and my TV will have no convergence problems since there is no CRT tube. People have also said that if the sub isn't actually touching, there is no difference in having it directly behind the TV or in another corner.

If that is truly the case, then the SVS 25-31 might be a good call in this case.

WayneO

Supporting Actor
I know you gotta stay under budget, but I have similar sized room with openings to a dining room and kitchen as well. My 20-39PC+ does a wonderful job filling the space, but I bottomed it a couple times watching LOTR at very high volumes, so onto the PB2+ for me. :D My point is any sub at that price point might lack the punch you desire in your space. My PC+ is right next to my RPTV with no probs and so the PCi gets my vote, it looks cooler once you get it, at first I was hesitant about a cylinder as well but will miss it once I return it. Otherwise get the PB1-ISD, the service at SVS is awesome, email them with your ?'s and they'll certainly help you out, they'll even recommend a competitor if it'll suit your needs better.

Trevin Chow

Stunt Coordinator
WayneO:

That's what I was afraid of :frowning: I have emailed SVS to see what they have to say and also included a diagram of my room with dimensions.

My understanding is that the only difference between all the SVS cylinder subs is how low they go. Does this translate into a louder sub that will be better for my room? Or will I have to look at a different sub altogether?

Perhaps the Stryke Minithunder is better? I've heard it plays much louder than the SVS cylinders...

WayneO

Supporting Actor
My understanding is that the only difference between all the SVS cylinder subs is how low they go.
That's true for each specific line-up(PCi or PC+). The 25-31 will be "louder" than the 20-39 or 16-46 at 25hz and up and of course the others will go lower while giving up a little bit of db's on the higher frequencies. Of course the PC+ series is "louder" than any PCi sub due to the more powerful amp and better driver but a little out of your price range.

I don't know much about the Stryke, and no specs can be accessed at the site right now so I can't make any generalizations and haven't read any direct comparisons. But "much louder" than an SVS(PCi or PB1-ISD), I doubt very much.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks