How big of a difference...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Koz, Aug 6, 2002.

1. Jason Koz

Jason Koz Extra

How big of a difference in picture quality is there between a 32" HD and 32" analog set (both flat-screens) on DVDs? I realize that the HDTV is better, but how noticeable is it on a screen of that size? I'm having trouble justifying the extra $400.

I'll be sitting ~8 feet away from the screen if that helps.

Thanks.

2. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Huge

3. Drew Eckhardt

Drew Eckhardt Stunt Coordinator

Interlacing artifacts are still noticeable at 8' on a 32" set, as are down-conversion artifacts playing anamorphic DVDs without anamorphic squeeze.

Beyond that, it's a subjective question. You need to plug an appropriate DVD player into the sets in question and see for your self.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I would echo Mr. Loewen's response. There's no comparison. It's that big a deal.

5. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

Pay the extra 400..Not only is the difference in picture quality dramatic, analog tv's are an antiquated technology..It is looking more and more likely, Congress and the FCC is going to force the 2006 analog shut down to happen on time..

6. Brent Hutto

Brent Hutto Supporting Actor

To my eye, shopping for TV's at Circuit City and Best Buy, you really need a line-doubled (i.e., Digital/HD-Ready) set in those sizes at that distance. At my usual viewing distance of seven feet, the 32" analog sets had unacceptable scan lines and the 36" ones were unviewable. I don't think it would be much different at eight feet.

I will say that on certain anamorphic DVD's, an analog Wega that's doing the squeeze can be close acceptable at eight to ten feet. But even then on large areas of white in the picture the scan lines are right there to see.

But you don't really need my opinion. Just go to any store that has a 32" analog Wega and a 32" HDTV-ready Wega near each other and watch the same material on both from eight feet away. And if you use a 36" it will be much, much worse.

7. Warner

Warner Agent

Why are the scan lines less visible on an analog set that does the squeeze?

8. Drew Eckhardt

Drew Eckhardt Stunt Coordinator