What's new

How big of a difference between DTS-ES Matrix vs Discrete (1 Viewer)

StevenK

Second Unit
I just found out the Yammie I ordered only does DTS-ES Matrix, but not Discrete.
Granted there are only a few titles with DTS-ES Discrete, I wonder if anybody has had the chance to compare Matrix with Discrete. I want to find out how much I'll be missing.
BTW, I find it ironic that I sold the H/K 520 to get a receiver with DD-EX only to lose DTS-ES discrete. I really should read the specs more carefully before making purchases:)

RichardMA

Second Unit
You can equate it to Pro-Logic versus Dolby Digital.

The channel separation is likely to be no better than

40db between rear channels with matrix but it should be

almost 80db with discrete. Also, the dynamic range and

frequency response are "likely" attenuated in the matrix

but not in the discrete.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I've noticed a difference while listening to a neighbor's DTS-ES setup that I installed (still waiting on the Outlaw Model 950 for myself). The surround effects in discrete 6.1 seemed to be more precisely placed in the soundfield with no disernable channel crosstalk-- panning was smoother too (The Haunting in DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 is still the best utilization of the three discrete, full range surround channels-- simply amazing! For music, the Studio Voodoo DVD-Audio disc's DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 track is a wower too). Subtle effects like rain especially sounded better because the sounds didn't bunch up into the rear surrounds like in the matrix version.

Get yourself a new receiver!

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread