What's new

how big is your OS partition? (1 Viewer)

Steven K

Supporting Actor
Steven - you seriously need 20gb for 'just' the OS, then another 60gb 'just' for apps?
Hehehe, actually I dont even come close to using all available space. For instance, currently in use:

C: - 2.7 GB Used
F: - 2.8 GB Used

And that's with Visual Studio 6, the entire MSDN, and the entire Platform SDK installed on F: :D

I was able to pick up the drives for a great price (1 Western Digital 80 GB, Ultra ATA 100, 7200 RPM with 8 MB buffer, and 1 Maxtor 80 GB, Ultra ATA 133, 7200 RPM with 8 MB buffer) and I was able to pick up each for around $100 a few months back).

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Steven, neeless to say you're wasting a fair amount of space there! As you go 'further' into the drive space the performance starts dropping off a little. Your system might be running a tad slower than it needs to. Plus, I still can't see the advantage to keeping your apps away from the OS.

Steven K

Supporting Actor
Steven, neeless to say you're wasting a fair amount of space there! As you go 'further' into the drive space the performance starts dropping off a little. Your system might be running a tad slower than it needs to. Plus, I still can't see the advantage to keeping your apps away from the OS.
It's a tradeoff, but I find the conveniences of having this setup far outweigh the inconveniences.

The biggest advantage of keeping Apps and OS Seperately is the Imaging factor. To make an image a partition, as you describe, would result in an image that is very large as well.

I'm not concerned about imaging my applications... however, keeping an OS Image (actually, several images) is very important to me, for several reasons:
1. Service Packs and other upgrades - if something breaks, it's hard to go back without an image
2. Programming - I do alot of system level programming, and sometimes, I do manage to screw things up every once in a while

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor
40 GB LOL.

I had an HDD die on me that was 20GB, Anyways when I finally get my large RAID array going, I will probably do a 5GB partition then install everything on a seperate one.

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
Drive 1, 15GB
C: 3GB, WinXP Pro ONLY (no apps or swap)
E: 3GB, Data files, email store
F: 250MB, mail server (Mercury/32)
G: 8.5GB, Apps

Drive 2 8GB
D: 750MB, swap (pagefile)
H: 500MB, tempfiles (all temp paths like c:temp have been changed to point here)
I: 3.5GB, data backups
J: 3.5GB, was going to be a Linux partition (dual-booting) but presently unused since I installed Linux on a separate box

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
80 Gigs.

C: 4 Gigs - Windows Only
D: 2 Gigs - Temp/Swap File/IE Cache/Nero Cache
E: ~70 Gigs - Everything else.

My Windows Install crashed last thursday, all I had to do was reformat the C: and then when I found out that the HDD was to fail (SMART Status Bad - After only 3 months) took a backup and replaced the HD.

Jeff Savage

Second Unit
Well gosh it kindda depends on the applicataion. I agree with the ghost statement as a vaild reason for partitions. Ghost is a great recovery tool if a virus or "mistake" wipes out your HD or OS. I partition all my PC's with a seperate OS partition of no less then 10 GB (if you have the room) MINIMUM for a Windows based OS and some apps would be 4 GB.

For instance on my Media Server I have a single 10 GB hard drive for the OS and then a 360 GB Raid 5 array for all the music. On the workstations I just have the partitions on the same hard drive. On the workstation that I use for scanning, artwork, etc.. all this is on a seperate hard drive from both the apps and OS. I just think it is cleaner this way and there can be some performance benefits to having your data and OS drives on seperate IDE channels.

Laters,
Jeff

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
This depends entirely on how much software you plan on installing since just about everything defaults to C:Program Files. (Yes, you can change the default installation path for the most part but it's still annoying to do that.)
What is absolutely annoying to me is that every install defaults to C:Program Files. My W2k SP3 install occupies 8.78 GB on my 100 GB HDD. I have 9 other partitions of various sizes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks