How big is your Home Theater?? (New Home build Question)

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Tomas_S, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Tomas_S

Tomas_S Agent

Hi Everybody,

I'm in the process of building a new home and we are putting in a dedicated HT in the basement.

The basement will be framed next week and it looks like the biggest I can get it is 20'x14'. Do you think this is an acceptable size for seating for 6 and 100" screen?

I'd like to see pictures and room dimensions of anybody with a similair size HT.

Thanks!
    Tomas

2. Drew Eckhardt

Drew Eckhardt Stunt Coordinator

100" what? Wide? Diagonal? If diagonal, what aspect ratio?

I have a 13x19x8' room, 87x49" screen on one of the short walls. This works great for a first row 11' from the screen. 6-8 people fit no problem.

An extra 1-2' of width would probably be ideal to allow a bit wider main speaker placement (their centers are 30" from the side walls - so the sight lines well off center don't work) without side wall reflections.

Another foot of ceiling height would be nice too.

3. Tomas_S

Tomas_S Agent

Sorry, yes that is around 100" diagonal with a 16:9 screen. I wish I could go wider but then i'd be pushing my hallway less than 4ft. Don't want to do that.. [​IMG]

Do you have any pics of your HT?

4. gregstaten

gregstaten Supporting Actor

Tomas:

My room is similarly-sized (20'8" x 15'11"). You can check it out by clicking on the link below.

-greg

5. Steve Lucas

Steve Lucas Stunt Coordinator

6. william-scooter

william-scooter Stunt Coordinator

I am almost finished with my new home and the theater is 21x16x9. It will seat six easy. Some pictures are below. As you can see it is still in progress.

msnusers.com/ScootersHomeTheatre

7. Larry Lopez

Larry Lopez Auditioning

Tomas_S,

I think fitting 6 it shouldn't be a problem. As far as the screen size goes, I think 100" might be a little too big. You might want to give this gentlemen Willy an e-mail: [email protected] He may able to assist you in building your home theater. He designed my home theater and I have 7 seats in my room (mine is a little bigger room than yours). Shoot Willy an e-mail. He definitely can help you since that's what he does for living.

Larry

8. Jeff Engel

Jeff Engel Stunt Coordinator

Tomas, my room is 19.5 X15.5 and I have easy seating for 8. PLus I have a 123" diagonal 16x9 screen. You should have no trouble with what you are planning. My pics are in my signature link below. I only have couches for 6 but more than enough room for 2 extra chairs.