How big is too big and questions on speaker stands?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Christopher_P, Oct 7, 2003.

1. Christopher_P

Christopher_P Stunt Coordinator

Posted before on questions about what I'd want in a TV and a HTIAB and now I have a question on room placement and speaker stands [​IMG]

Our room is 20x20 and we will be sitting 11 feet from the TV. How big is too big for this room? I already have a onkyo HTIAB, philips dvd player, consoles, etc.. Also I figured out around what I want in a tv (HDTV wide screen plugs etc..) but now I need to figure out what size is a good size for this room. Bigger is better RAWR but seriously whats a good guide to go on for TV size?

I also need some help on speaker placement and what sort of speaker stands I will need for my front 2 speakers and back 2. (figure the center speaker will go on top of the TV. But the front speakers are much heavier than the back 2 so I can either have them up on top of our media stands which will place them several feet above ear level and several feet above the rear speakers or I can find some sort of speaker stand to hold them up on the sides of the TV)

I also have one other problem. Our living room opens up into a tiled kitchen and a carpeted den(living room also has carpet) and this room also has a very large window (double the size of a normal window). Trying to figure out should I look into getting some custom blinds made? (My father and uncle put this window in a long time ago and the size and glass was from another building and its not a "standard" size so I would have to find some way to get custom sized blinds)

Anyway thanks ahead of time for the replys and I hope to post here more often always great info here for us HT newbies. (Feel like I'm learning basic PC hardware all over again eek!) [​IMG]

2. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

whats a good guide to go on for TV size? ---budjet [​IMG]

I sit about 14 feet from my 120" diagonal screen. it isnt overwhelming ...yet.

A friend of mine has a 63" widescreen and he sits 9 feet away from his TV.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

This Viewing Distance Calculator can give you some help.

For an 11' distance you would need a 98" diagonal screen to hit the THX recommended size.

You should sit closer and get any of the popular sizes.