How best to hide rear speaker wire.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeremy Illingworth, Mar 18, 2001.

1. Jeremy Illingworth

Jeremy Illingworth Supporting Actor

I just finished painting the HT and am mounting the rears up where they should be. It's an old lathe and plaster house, so I can't put the wires in the wall. I was going to run them up in the corners and then along the picture frame moulding to the speakers. Even with 16 gauge wire, it's quite noticeable. Any suggestions on how I can make it less visible?
    jeremy

2. EricK

EricK Second Unit

Eric
    Go to your local hardware store or home center and ask for "WireMold." It's strips of decorative plastic with a double stick tape on the back that allow you to cover speaker wires, phone wires and even high voltage romex lines. It comes in several different sizes and colors, although most places just have the basic ivory or white. They have accesories to go with it, such as elbows, couplings, etc. Best part is that it blends in well with the wall or ceilings.
    Eric.
    ------------------
    HTF NY City MEET @HiFi show May 12, 01. See my post in "Local Meets!"
    DVD List: http://www.dvdtracker.com/~EricK

3. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Erik has your best possible solution, still visible but a lot nicer than 12-14 gauge wire.
    You.d be ok if you used 24-30 gauge cable [​IMG]
    Brent L
    ------------------
    Mar 1st....Toronto members interested in a possible tour of the Paradigm facility in Woodbridge please check the MEETS page......early June!!

4. eric_jc

eric_jc Auditioning

I have the same situation and I am using Monster Superflat speaker cable. You can get it online at Crutchfield.com. They even have the correct size corner bracket thingys so you can make 90 deg. angles along with regular hold-down brackets. It's $1.50/ft which isn't bad but the also have Superflat Mini that is $0.75/ft and all the hardware for that, too. Good luck, I know what a pain in the ass wiring can be in the older homes.
    Eric

5. Jeremy Illingworth

Jeremy Illingworth Supporting Actor

I can't go under the carpet. I've got hardwood.
    jeremy