What's new

How before they can kick me out. (1 Viewer)

Scott Thomas

Second Unit
I recently moved into a new apartment with my brother, but my lease for my old apartment is still a few months away.

I havent told the manager that I have left, I still switch between the two places for now.

If I dont pay the rent, how long will it take before they evict me?

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
I don't know as I've never rented and I'm not a landlord.

I suggest paying the rent. A non-payment history is not a good thing to have and will follow you to your next place.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
About 60 days. However the legal fees and collections agencies will ensure you will end-up paying far more than your rent currently is.

mark alan

Supporting Actor
Any smart landlord starts the legal proceedings one day after the rent is due. If it is an apartment complex, they will have procedures in place, and they will collect their money.

You best bet is to ask to be released from your lease. It might work.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Right. You have a contract, and it is just like if you would have paid for the whole year in advance, but you just got the payments broken up.

If you leave early, he can advertise the place and if he gets a new renter in before your contract is up, then you won't have to pay that (unless he's a real jerk)

I am not an attorney, and I think that some of these laws can vary from state to state.

Outside of that, did you put down a deposit/first/last? Can you get cleaning fees back if you leave it rentable immediately?

Of course, if you can drop out of the human race ignore what I said.

Glenn

Don_Houle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don
Don't be a scumbag...pay the rent. You signed a lease contract in which you agreed to pay the rent. At least explain your situation to the apartment manager/owner.

I don't own any rental properties, but I have friends who have in the past or do now and they rely on the rent paid in order to make their mortgages. As Mark stated, if this is a business, they WILL have procedures in place to get their money.

Good luck.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Of course, this is one of those nice ways to do serious damage to your credit score. Advice: pay the rent.

Kenneth

Supporting Actor
I had to break a lease in early 2003 because I was unemployed and moving out of the state. My apartment required 30 days notice and 1 months rent to break out early. I would ask the manager what the rules on breaking the lease early. I definitely wouldn't default.

Kenneth

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
What makes you think they will kick you out? Just because you might make th wrong decision and stop paying does not mean they will evict you, at least not right away. They can go after you in court, attack your credit ratings, ask to have you wages garnished as well as collect any damages to the unit that may or may not have been caused by you. But I doubt they will just kick you out and move on with their business as usual operations.

Just talk to the property managers. Believe it or not, renters do have rights even with a contract. But if you just up and quit paying, pretty much all your legal advantages get thrown out the window.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks