What's new

How badly does Amazon package your Blu-ray and 4k discs? (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Luckily we just renewed ours like a month ago, so I'm spared another 11 months until the hike.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
My renewal comes in December. Amazon's increase will probably be the NHL's loss in my case, as I will probably change my NHL.tv subscription to just the single team plan next season. I have watched pretty much only Montreal games the past two years anyway, and the change will more than cover Amazon's price increase.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
For what it's worth, it looks like Amazon now allows Prime members to select two-day free shipping to PO boxes, rather than simply standard shipping. This is important to me, as I would prefer to have all my blu-ray and DVDs go to a secure PO box rather than sit on my doorstep while I am gone. In the past, I had to sacrifice the free two-day shipping feature for this security choice.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The issue of raising the cost of Prime is that I would have blindly renewed it without even thinking about it, but now that it is over the magic $100 I am going to think hard if I am really getting the value, especially since for the last few months I have been cancelling orders at Amazon and finding lower prices elsewhere.

Here's an interesting item from an article I found online:

There's a famous quote from Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos which appears all over the internet. It apparently stems from a 2001 earnings call, and was popularized by journalist Brad Stone's book on Amazon, "The Everything Store."

Bezos said, "There are two kinds of retailers: those folks who work to figure how to charge more, and companies that work to figure how to charge less, and we are going to be the second."

Perhaps he's had a change of heart.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/26/amazon-prime-increase-strays-from-bezos-charge-less-promise.html

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Tonight, email confirmation came through on the two Blu-rays I pre-ordered some time ago that are being released Tuesday.

My dad recently ordered a 3-pack of fly swatters, so Amazon has put those in the same shipment as my Blu-rays. (We live together and use the same account.) This is one of those rare cases where Blu-rays aren't the only thing in the package.

We'll see how this is packaged when it shows up on Tuesday. I'm curious.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Given that it's still cheaper than Netflix, and bundles free shipping with streaming commercial free movies, TV AND music, I'm not complaining.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Placed two orders the same day.

1. The Post on 4K Blu-ray and selected No Rush Shipping.
2. Pet Cat Nail Caps and selected Prime 2-Day Shipping.

Both arrived in one envelope today, with minimal padding.

Amazon_20180430.jpg

Thankfully, nothing apparently broken on the inside. I do not like these new envelopes, it is almost as bad as using a plain manila envelope. Almost.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Placed two orders the same day.

1. The Post on 4K Blu-ray and selected No Rush Shipping.
2. Pet Cat Nail Caps and selected Prime 2-Day Shipping.

Both arrived in one envelope today, with minimal padding.

View attachment 45977

Thankfully, nothing apparently broken on the inside. I do not like these new envelopes, it is almost as bad as using a plain manila envelope. Almost.
I'd prefer a box but I haven't had a problem with Amazon using the cheap envelopes for Blu-rays and DVDs (even box sets) and assuming there's reasonable shipping conditions, I don't expect to really have one. For me, it's hardcover books that take a beating in the envelopes.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I'd prefer a box but I haven't had a problem with Amazon using the cheap envelopes for Blu-rays and DVDs (even box sets) and assuming there's reasonable shipping conditions, I don't expect to really have one. For me, it's hardcover books that take a beating in the envelopes.
These new envelopes are worse then the bubble-padded envelopes that my last few orders arrived in.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I received a board game (!?!?!) in a bubble mailer yesterday! Fortunately it suffered no crush damage. I consider that somewhat a minor miracle as I've had them arrive in a proper box with crush damage.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Got Mama Mia 4k with slipcover in a white bubble mailer yesterday. It had been stuffed into our locked mailbox. I didn't open the disc package yet, but the slipcover is a 9.5/10. Probably the best I could ask for even if I had gone to the store to pick it up.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Placed two orders on the same day.

Order #1
4lb Bag Diatomaceous Earth Food Grade

Order #2
The Sneetches and Other Stories
Naughty No More (Cat Training Book)
Getting Started: Clicker Training for Cats Kit
Evening Primrose Oil (1300mg) 120 Liquid Softgels
Cuisinart Skillet

Amazon decided, to save money on shipping, to (quite literally) toss both orders into one box!
20180606_154542.jpg 20180606_154559.jpg 20180606_154608.jpg 20180606_154613.jpg
You guessed it, the bag of Diatomaceous Earth burst open and contaminated every item in the box. Amazon thanked me for being a Prime Member, then apologized and asked for the items to be returned and they would issue a replacement on some items, refund on others. But couldn't do it right away because they were having network issues.

If I actually lived in an area that had stores like Wal-Mart, Target, Home Depot, Lowes, I'd likely tell Amazon to cancel my Prime all together and stop doing business with them. But many of us in this rinky dink little town in the middle of nowhere pretty much depend on Amazon.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks