What's new

How bad is the NEOGEO Pocket Color? (1 Viewer)

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
Yes, I know it's discontinued. Yes, I know the game selection is minimal. I can't seem to get a straight answer on the quality of the screen.

That said, Amazon is selling new units between $17 and $30, which is my kind of price for a toy that I wouldn't use often, but would come in extremely handy on the occasions I could use it.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
I bought one when they first came out. Didnt care much for it and returned it and bought a advance. For 17-30.00 buy it. If I was going on along car ride I would find it definetly worthwile. But it will by no means replace the SP.

The screen is good. No backlight of course so its kinda hard to see. But no harder to look at that the original gameboy. It gives a good picture (when not dealing with glare) I wonder though, you may be able to take off the protective screen????

Games are ok. (and relatively cheap) Go for it.:emoji_thumbsup:

James T

Screenwriter
What's the battery life on it? I know GameGear and Sega's portable Genesis ate up batteries like crazy, and that was a concern for GBA when it first launched.

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
I dont remember, I never really kept track.
A website that I checked says it gives about 40 hours with a decent set of batteries.

Marshall W. Carter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marshall W. Carter
It's a nice little machine, especially if you're at all into SNK's line of games. While the fighters take more of a "super-deformed" anime style, they still play a lot like their arcade siblings, and the versions of Metal Slug for the machine are quite good. Graphically, they do some nice things, though it's not up to GBA level, obviously, though the screen, a reflective TFT, is comparable.

Marshall W. Carter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marshall W. Carter
And lest I forget, the "tornado-style" D-Pad (similar to the digital pad on its older Neo Geo CD brother) are second to none among portables.

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
Of course, I missed out on the $17 one (and the $30 one that comes with Sonic) by waiting for opinions instead of taking my chances. Amazon still has units sans game for $30, so I'll probably pick one up while I can.

The only games that really interest me are Bust-A-Move Pocket and Pac-Man, but I'm retro like that. I certainly wouldn't have complained about getting Sonic for free with the unit, but I think I had my fill of him back in the Genesis days.

Thanks for the replies, and feel free to post any additional game recommendations. Does it have a racing game of any sort?

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
Thanks for the link, Marshall. I lucked out at Amazon, though; it looks like they got one of the Sonic units back in stock, and I snagged it. The quest for games now begins. After doing a little research, I am interested in more than just the two titles I listed above. ;)

Are all units region-free? I've seen some low prices on Japanese and UK cartridges, but I'm not sure if they're compatible with all units.

Marshall W. Carter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marshall W. Carter
Yes, they're region free, and games from the older Neo Geo Pocket (B&W screen) will work as well. If possible, go for the games in clamshell cases instead of cardboard, but either way, you'll have some fun ;)

Marshall W. Carter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marshall W. Carter
Actually, after being reminded on the NGPC on this thread (I sold mine some time ago), I went ahead and grabbed one of those package deals myself (there are sellers on eBay selling it for a bit less (same package minus Dark Arms, but plus Samurai Shodown 2), paid about $72 shipped for mine). I'm glad I did it too, because Metal Slug: First Mission and the fighters are some good playing.

Tim Hess

Second Unit
Best Dpad on a handheld PERIOD.

The screen leaves much to be desired after using my GBASP for so long.

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
I haven't had much of a chance to play with my NGPC due to the holidays, but I'm quite impressed with the unit as a whole for the price. The lithium battery was dead, as I expected it to be, but it was an easy and inexpensive replacement. It's well worth the $30 at Amazon, even if you can't get the Sonic bundle. My fears were confirmed; ten years later, I've still had my fill of him.

Play-Asia.com has the Japanese versions of Shanghai Mini and Densha de Go! 2 new for around $12 shipped (each), which will likely be my next purchases. There are some fair deals to be had on eBay as well, but if anyone knows of any other reputable sources for games (especially Puyo Pop), I'm all ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks