What's new

How Bad is Roeper? (1 Viewer)

Steve Hill

Agent
"I absolutely hate Roeper and will never watch the show as long as that horses ass is on it. i'm usually not a violent person, but his smug ways make me wish i could drag him outside and beat the living shit out of him. sorry if that sounds exteme but he just hits the wrong nerve with me! "

i said this in an earlier post and see no reason to change. i also have not seen the show since.

The latest example of Roeper's bizarre rationale can be seen in his top ten list for the year. While he admitted his #10 pick wasn't necessarily his tenth favorite film of 2001, he backed it up in saying that it was the best of its genre, and that's why it belonged. If you look at the remaining nine films in his top ten, you can see there are several genres left unrecognized. Not a complaint, just very very odd.

Frank_W

Stunt Coordinator
I'll throw down my two cents. I really enjoy Roepers column

in the Sun-Times. It is far from PC and actually can be

quite funny at times. However, it really comes down to a

love/hate relationship with him. He comes across as a

geek, but from his writings I don't see it.

As far as a movie critic? Well, I can take it or leave it.

I think the reason he was chosen for the job was from

his writings and to make Ebert look good. Maybe hoping that

there would be opposing views which made the show fun in the

first place with Siskel. But thank god it is not Knowles.

I think it comes down to the fact that 'Siskel and Ebert'

was a great team that probably can never be duplicated.

Roeper means well but just does not cut it in this field,

or so far he has not.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Chad Ferguson

I think it was Ebert that did the big thing on widescreen. I recall that he even mentioned the big Willy Wonka fiasco. Maybe Roeper did something before that which I'm not aware of.

I didn't catch last weeks show with TLOTR and their website doesn't have audio this week. I was wanting to hear exactly what he said.

Mitty

Supporting Actor
I'm sure Roeper scored a lot of points at the alt.nerd.obsessive newsgroups by picking Memento as the best film of the year. ;)
His ten best list was actually pretty good. He seems a little nervous about having Shallow Hal in there, but I can't comment on that, having not seen the film.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Roeper seems like a pan n scan kinda guy to me
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
From an art history background, one does not necessarily like a work of art to appreciate it. Ebert understands this, Roeper does not. Case in point, in reviewing a film aimed at kids, Ebert gave it a thumbs up on the grounds that a younger child would love the movie. Roeper replied that since he wasn't a young child, he didn't like it, and gave it a thumbs down.
I think Adam nailed it when he stated that he thought that films were an "idle distraction" for Roeper.
-Dave

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I have no problems with him having his opinions or expressing them. One walks a fine line when they take it upon themselves to decide who has the right to express their views. That said, there are only two spots on ______ & Ebert or Ebert & _____________ and I'd rather someone with a greater passion and respect for movies were to fill the blank.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks