What's new

How bad is my Subwoofer (1 Viewer)

richard plumb

Stunt Coordinator
I have an OK setup at the moment, but I can't help feeling that my sub is letting the side down. Its the only speaker left from my old prologic setup, and I got it from a friend for almost no money.
Its a Yamaha YST-SW60 active sub.
Would I get a much better sound from a reasonably priced new sub? I don't have a lot to spend on a fantastic sub - maybe £200-£300.

J

John Morris

Richard: Alot would depend on your room, your listening preferences and your other equipment. Although I'm not sure of the monetary conversion factor, you might be able to afford subwoofers from either http://www.svsubwoofers.com
God Bless America!!!

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Richard,
Try auditioning some subs from Paradigm and Velodyne, specifically the PDR-12 and CT-120. The Adire Audio Rava or SVS 25-31CS (will need something to power it with) are excellent but the question for you will be shipping. You may even considering buying a used Paradigm PW-2200. Good luck!

Tom Weeks

Stunt Coordinator
Richard, I just upgraded from that very subwoofer to the SVS 20-39PC and I can tell that there is no comparison. My old (and loved ) Yamaha would just kind of make a loud noise during action movies, The new SVS thunders and shakes the house and pummels you with sonic bursts that you can actually feel hitting you. My wife isn't crazy about it, but I love it. Scrounge around a little like I did and see if you cant get an SVS---You won't be disappointed.--TJW

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Hi Richard, you don't want to ship anything from the states to the UK it would not be worth it.
Maybe if you could tell us what subwoofers are available in your area and in your price range then maybe we could lend a hand on which one(s) would be best.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Richard, I forgot to mention that Rel subs are very good performers jand are made in the UK, they are pretty pricey over here but I bet you can get them much cheaper. They are only sold in high end shops here in the states.
Any Rel sub will beat the tar out of your current sub,
go for the Studio II if you can swing it , that sub kicks some serious bass.
It looks like you have two dealers in your town...
THE POWERPLANT (HI FI) LTD 66 UPPER NORTH STREET BRIGHTON 01273 775978
SEVENOAKS HI-FI 55 PRESTON STREET BRIGHTON 01273 733338
http://www.rel.net/products.html
[Edited last by James W. Johnson on September 25, 2001 at 01:42 PM]

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I used to own the YST-SW90 (better than the 60). You are right, you sub sucks :)
You can do MUCH better with the amount you mentioned. Read the recommendations and go for it.
--
Holadem
[Edited last by Holadem on September 25, 2001 at 02:35 PM]

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
To ByronZ:
I've been going through the debate between the PDR-1200 and the PW-2200... PDR is way too boomy for music (in my untrained opinion) and I'm currently working on the extra money for a PW-2200... Much better investment for myself anyway.

Boris

Grip
James, the top REL subs are pretty pricey here too.
However the Studio II has been reduced from £4000 to £2500 as the Studio III is replacing it. The cheapest REL is around £400 (the Q50)
Richard, Richer Sounds stock Paradigm products at excellent prices. There's a branch in Brighton. You should check out the Servo 15, at £500 it's a steal. A bit above your budget but it's an awesome sub.
Cheers
Boris

richard plumb

Stunt Coordinator
thanks guys.
I have a Paradigm CC170 center, which sounds good to me. I'll check out Richer sounds and also the two dealers mentioned about REL. Sounds like I'll need to stretch to around £500. Isn't that always the way?
wink.gif

Boris

Grip
Hi Richard.
The Servo 15 is Paradigms reference model, top of the line. I believe you'd have to spend quite a bit more than £500 to get an equivalent performing REL. As always- audition.
Cheers
Boris

richard plumb

Stunt Coordinator
The only paradigms that Richer had were the PDR-10 and the 1000 (I think). didn't see the servo 15 there. The PDR10 is going for £150, and the 1000 for £200. Pretty good. The reviews for the servo 15 are really excellent, so I'll add that to the audition list too.
I'll be checking out the other stores in Brighton tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks