How bad is clack, anyway?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Justin_Ha, Apr 11, 2004.

1. Justin_Ha

Justin_Ha Auditioning

Well, I just got a new Adire Rava sub last week (the rest of my system is Athena, not bad for the price), and haven't had much of a chance to listen to it. Anyway, the wife and I were watching Revolutions tonight, and enjoying the new waves of bass (also not bad for the price), and I heard the dreaded clack right about when Smith and Neo were finishing their fight in the crater. D'oh. Guess I didn't dial it in very well.

So, I know it's not good, but how bad is it? I only heard it once, and I turned it right down after that. (I have a bad tendency to want to find the limits of things when I first get them... my wife can testify to that after we got my car sideways at 60 mph the first hour I had it... I don't know how she puts up with me.)

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Justin,

It is very essential that you get that sub calibrated properly with your system.

You'll need to:

- Adjust the crossover point on your receiver (e.g. 80Hz)
    - Get out the SPL meter and a setup DVD.
    - Calibrate the subwoofer so it's in synch with your surround speakers.
    - Maybe, you like a bit of extra bass - then, 3, 4, or 5dB higher than the surround speakers can be a starting point.

Without doing this, you are not getting the most out of your new subwoofer.

3. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

One clack (the VC former smacked the backplate) is usually not going to hurt anything. Write down the Master Volume setting, the sub calibration level, and the time stamp on the DVD and back off 2-3 clicks on the Master Volume (or the sub level) and you should be OK.

The Rava is a good unit, and pretty affordable. Buy a second and stack or otherwise colocate them and get another 6 dB in headroom.

4. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Thought you were talking about Parker!

My bad!

Brent

5. Justin_Ha

Justin_Ha Auditioning

Thanks for your help and advice everyone.

Overall, I'm happy with the sub, Adire has a pretty good product for the money, and it still sounds great, even after the clack.