What's new

How bad is clack, anyway? (1 Viewer)

Justin_Ha

Auditioning
Well, I just got a new Adire Rava sub last week (the rest of my system is Athena, not bad for the price), and haven't had much of a chance to listen to it. Anyway, the wife and I were watching Revolutions tonight, and enjoying the new waves of bass (also not bad for the price), and I heard the dreaded clack right about when Smith and Neo were finishing their fight in the crater. D'oh. Guess I didn't dial it in very well.

So, I know it's not good, but how bad is it? I only heard it once, and I turned it right down after that. (I have a bad tendency to want to find the limits of things when I first get them... my wife can testify to that after we got my car sideways at 60 mph the first hour I had it... I don't know how she puts up with me.)

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Justin,

It is very essential that you get that sub calibrated properly with your system.

You'll need to:

- Adjust the crossover point on your receiver (e.g. 80Hz)
- Get out the SPL meter and a setup DVD.
- Calibrate the subwoofer so it's in synch with your surround speakers.
- Maybe, you like a bit of extra bass - then, 3, 4, or 5dB higher than the surround speakers can be a starting point.

Without doing this, you are not getting the most out of your new subwoofer.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
One clack (the VC former smacked the backplate) is usually not going to hurt anything. Write down the Master Volume setting, the sub calibration level, and the time stamp on the DVD and back off 2-3 clicks on the Master Volume (or the sub level) and you should be OK.

The Rava is a good unit, and pretty affordable. Buy a second and stack or otherwise colocate them and get another 6 dB in headroom.

Justin_Ha

Auditioning
Thanks for your help and advice everyone.

Overall, I'm happy with the sub, Adire has a pretty good product for the money, and it still sounds great, even after the clack.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks